Neff's Fishing Frame ? - Mountain Buzz

Old 02-11-2017   #1

Bozeman, Montana
Neff's Fishing Frame ?

Anyone own a Neff's fishing frame? Looks fairly solid, any comments/ pics would be appreciated

walterwhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2017   #2

Hamilton, Montana
Paddling Since: 2013
I don't own one, but I've been on the river with 2 or 3 of his frames, and the welds are beautiful.
Montana Cat 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2017   #3

Bozeman, Montana
Anyone know if there any difference between neff's fishing frame and the frame that Montana Raft Frames make ?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-17-2017   #4

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Neff is up in the Bitter root while MRF is West of Missoula. They're different builders, both have great reputations and do great work. I thought I remembered Neff saying that he was moving from frame building to frame repair and mobile welding work or something, but I don't remember for sure.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2017   #5

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1coby View Post
Neff is up in the Bitter root while MRF is West of Missoula. They're different builders, both have great reputations and do great work. I thought I remembered Neff saying that he was moving from frame building to frame repair and mobile welding work or something, but I don't remember for sure.
I believe it's the opposite Colby. But I'm also fairly certain that frame building isn't his only interest, nor job. I haven't posted to this thread as I've PM'd the OP on the subject but, while I don't run one of Neff's frames, I would happily and my next frame itteration will likely come from his shop.

I do have parts that Neff built and I'm supremely satisfied. Someday when the money leaves more slowly than it enters I plan on having him rebuild several complicated parts on my rig that are currently held together with fittings. I hope to loose some frame weight and increase strength. I cannot say enough good things about him and his business and if I were starting from scratch I would go straight to his shop to get my frame. I'm not affiliated in any way, just a boater that has had the pleasure of working with him. You won't be dissapointed.
Old 02-17-2017   #6

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by walterwhite View Post
Anyone know if there any difference between neff's fishing frame and the frame that Montana Raft Frames make ?
I should have read down the thread before posting my other thoughts. Yes they are different. Completely different folks. They both have roots in fishing and floating Montana rivers and as such appear fairly similar. Either builder has subtle and not so subtle differences, at least from my impression. With that said, I've only been around a few Montana Raft frames but have seen many from a distance. They are fine frames, well thought out and well excecuted, I just have no direct experience with their product nor their personnel. As noted up thread I do have experience with Neff and his gear and have never been short of completely impressed. That is why my suggestion goes his way. Nothing against the other fella's.
Old 02-17-2017   #7

Great Falls, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
I believe it's the opposite Colby. But I'm also fairly certain that frame building isn't his only interest, nor job. I haven't posted to this thread as I've PM'd the OP on the subject but, while I don't run one of Neff's frames, I would happily and my next frame itteration will likely come from his shop.

I do have parts that Neff built and I'm supremely satisfied. Someday when the money leaves more slowly than it enters I plan on having him rebuild several complicated parts on my rig that are currently held together with fittings. I hope to loose some frame weight and increase strength. I cannot say enough good things about him and his business and if I were starting from scratch I would go straight to his shop to get my frame. I'm not affiliated in any way, just a boater that has had the pleasure of working with him. You won't be dissapointed.
Well, Brian would you be willing to elaborate on where I'm wrong? MRF IS west of Missoula and Neff IS south of Missoula in the Bitterroot Valley.

If you look at post #27 in this thread A cautionary tale on cat frames and toe bars. Neff states and I quote, "I'm done with frames, mobile welding is where it's at." So it looks like I'm exactly 100 % correct and not off by the least degree.

I never said anything about frames being his only job, and the rest of your reply sounds exactly like mine so I don't know what your talking about.

Now maybe since then Neff (spider) has restated his position that he is back into frame building but since I don't have time to read every single post in every single thread I may have missed it so if I am mistaken I'm sure I can count on you to point it out.

Walter, I didn't explain every single aspect of my reply with as much detail because I had no idea that it would matter that much but I have dealings with both of them, they both do solid work and I would recommend them both. I haven't spoken to Neff since last year but I'll bet he would build anything that he has time for.
Old 02-17-2017   #8

Belgrade, Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by ob1coby View Post
Well, Brian would you be willing to elaborate on where I'm wrong? MRF IS west of Missoula and Neff IS south of Missoula in the Bitterroot Valley.

If you look at post #27 in this thread A cautionary tale on cat frames and toe bars. Neff states and I quote, "I'm done with frames, mobile welding is where it's at." So it looks like I'm exactly 100 % correct and not off by the least degree.

I never said anything about frames being his only job, and the rest of your reply sounds exactly like mine so I don't know what your talking about.

Now maybe since then Neff (spider) has restated his position that he is back into frame building but since I don't have time to read every single post in every single thread I may have missed it so if I am mistaken I'm sure I can count on you to point it out.

Walter, I didn't explain every single aspect of my reply with as much detail because I had no idea that it would matter that much but I have dealings with both of them, they both do solid work and I would recommend them both. I haven't spoken to Neff since last year but I'll bet he would build anything that he has time for.
Holy crap dude, I wasn't picking on you, nor intending to call you out. My intent was just that he hasn't moved on from frame building and it is just my understanding that he has several jobs. If you relook at your cited thread, I'm pretty sure you'll realize he's just referring to his new mobile welding rig. Just simply showing it off. I'll have to check on the timing, but I think he moved his frame business into a new shop around the time of the quoted post. I know I picked up my most recent purchase on spring break from his old shop, no more than a few weeks prior to the post you refer.

Finally, as I said in a post below I was just offering my opinion to the rest of the buzz, as I've already discussed it with the OP.

I meant nothing personal against you at all. I also did not discuss location and believe that your are exactly correct. Not that I have any clue on why location would matter.

Long story short, sorry for the misunderstanding - it was not my intent.

Sincerely,

Brian
Old 02-17-2017   #9

Great Falls, Montana
I especially don't want to post anything incorrect as it concerns someone's business so I just talked with Neff and he is still building "mostly" fishing and cargo style raft frames.
Old 02-17-2017   #10

Bozeman, Montana
I'm assuming he's busy. I've tired A PM and an email listed on his website but haven't heard back. Sorry if I wasn't clear in my last question, but I meant to ask what are the main differences between the two frames. I know little about rafts and even less about frames and wielding. Is it the same metal used in both frames? "We tig weld all our frames, using 6061 T6 aluminum tubing." Neffs.
From what I can tell by zooming in on both frames, it seems the anchor and the guide tray are the only thing that really separates them. Can anyone see/know otherwise ?

Montana Raft Frames

http://www.neffswhitewatercustoms.co...22870_orig.jpg

From looking at