Old 08-24-2014   #1
Frisco, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
Need UR help... buying first boat

The lady, dogs, and I have run out of room with our duckie sup combo and are looking to get a 14 foot raft to do longer trips and bigger water. I rented a 14ft, I think about 7ft wide NRS boat last weekend in Rancho for 4 people and 3 dogs, we paddled, good time. I think that is the size I want. Anyone have input on brands, size, price? I will get oar frame, anyone know about Bullet boats?

s21allen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014   #2
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
If you are looking for a budget boat, I'd look at the Rocky Mountain Raft brand or Aire's Tributary line. Bullets are glued (AKA "Solvent welded") together, and that manufacturing process is not known for long term reliability. RMR rafts and Aire Tribs are made in China but are both thermo welded together with a higher quality control. Also, the RMR rafts have a lace in style floor, and you can get either a standard I-beam floor or upgrade to a drop stitch floor for a few hundred more. NRS is selling a cheap boat that is thermo welded in all of the air-holding seams, but the D rings and handles are glued. They have a funky floor design I'm not too sure about either.
AIRE, SOTAR, MARAVIA, NRS, and HYSIDE all make great products, and I think you could be happy with any of those brand rafts for a long time. They are a big step up in price, but a $5K raft that lasts 20-30 years is worth the money (If you can swing it)

Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014   #3
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
There are a ton of threads on here asking some variation I'd your question. Just keyword search new raft, used raft, buying raft, or any other similar set of keywords. Be prepared for some trolling type comments in this thread - it's a topic that never fails to raise people's hackles.

I love our Down River hypalon raft, but I'm always looking at Craigslist anyway, just for fun. There are many used rafts for sale right now on all the front range Craigslists, and the high Rockies one too.

Good luck!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mountain Buzz mobile app
dafewillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014   #4
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
A bit of a drive, but good deal on RMR 14':
Vanguards are solid:
Great buy for a hyside bucket boat, would get you floating for cheap:

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mountain Buzz mobile app
dafewillis is offline   Reply With Quote