Old 04-06-2016   #1
Calgary, Alberta
My new poverty boat

Found the boat last year for $400 Canadian. It's a 10 foot hyside bucket boat with a number of patches (some of them are pretty ugly) and a few slow leaks that I have repaired.

Decided that instead of spending money on a good NRS frame I'd just build one out of wood.

The side rails are 2x4's and I've used aluminum angle stock to raise the oarlocks up. This means I could very easily twin the side rails with another 2x4 on each side if I decide I don't think it's strong enough. The oarlocks and stands are cheap stuff from Bass Pro Shops that I believe are usually used small fishing boats? I already had three 6.5' oars from an older and shittier poverty boat.

I'd estimate I'm in to it for a little over $100 Canadian for all the frame parts and supplies, and that could have been less if I went with cheaper spruce lumber but I like the look of the Cedar.

The plan for this in the short term is day floats and maybe class I to II short overnights on suitable rivers. It also might get used as a loaner on some trips where a friend doesn't have a boat.

In the long term I have my eye on some remote rivers in northern BC that are usually run in canoes. Many of these reaches require float plane access and/or portaging. I figure this will be much easier with the small and lightweight gear, compared with my 13' RMR and heavy metal frame.

Hopefully the maiden voyage will be soon to see how it handles.

My roommate has rightfully noted the distinct lack of a place to hold my beer, and rest assured this will be remedied prior to its maiden voyage. I also will be gluing down some cheap foam on the plywood for a seat.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1459980269145.jpg
Views:	341
Size:	111.8 KB
ID:	11287   Click image for larger version

Name:	1459980283074.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	70.7 KB
ID:	11288  

Name:	1459980292644.jpg
Views:	325
Size:	89.0 KB
ID:	11289   Click image for larger version

Name:	1459980301564.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	71.2 KB
ID:	11290  

Name:	1459980310104.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	54.9 KB
ID:	11291   Click image for larger version

Name:	1459980321964.jpg
Views:	255
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	11292  

cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016   #2
Flagstaff, Arizona
Love it...but save some $ for proper oar locks and stands. You'll want them after the first trip.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Mountain Buzz mobile app

NorthernAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016   #3
Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Where did the oars come from?
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016   #4
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
I wouldn't take that rig in anything over Class I, and that angle metal is a bad injury just waiting to happen. At least cover it with pool noodle foam or something.
DoStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016   #5
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Bucket boat to get you on the river is great. Looks like a fun ride and you'll get lots of great experience learning how patch rubber with it too!

However, those aluminum angle brackets sticking up along the sides scare the bejesus out of me with the thought of what could happen to someone stepping/falling/getting thrown into one of them. That could be a lot of stitches and patchwork of the non-so-fun kind.

Ditto on what NorthernAZ, except before the first trip.

Be safe,

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016   #6
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
I have the same concerns as Andy. That angle Al looks irresponsibly dangerous. Otherwise it looks great.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016   #7
glenwierd, Co.
Paddling Since: 05'
Put an edge on them and see how it plays out?

I'd take that deal n crawfish, then drill that ole devil in the ass.
Panama Red is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016   #8
Calgary, Alberta
This place really cracks me up... sometimes someone's home-made and inexpensive solution is praised, but more often than not it's slammed hard... lol!

This is not my first boat and far from my first trip... this is quiver boat. My other boat is a 13' RMR with an NRS style frame and oarlocks. I really don't think anywhere near that beefy is needed for such a small boat that will not be overloaded or run in big water. The oarlocks actually feel quite stout to me... I'd be more worried about the aluminum angle failing (or the bolts attaching the lock holders) before the oarlocks or mounts failing.

I am aware of the hazards of sharp things in a boat and was careful to make sure there are no sharp edges and I'm really not worried about them. Having said that, a pool noodle is a cheap and easy thing I could add if I ever do take this into bigger water, so thanks for that suggestion.

The oars are from Canadian Tire and are basically identical to cheap Caviness oars. But they are cheap and they are very light.

Honestly, I have no interest in defending the design of this, I just thought it might be interesting to others who are considering making their own cheap wooden frame like I did, because there doesn't seem to be as much info on that subject around here.
cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016   #9
Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
I like your frame. The woodwork looks great and you said in the begining you were not running the grand canyon in that boat. Looks to me like you beveled the aluminum and it looks go to go. Nothing wrong with keeping the price low. Good job
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2016   #10
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2002
Canadian Tire seems to have everything, looking forward to actually visiting one next time I'm in Canada.

k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote