Mountain Buzz banner

Motorcycle shuttle

13K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  swiss 
#1 ·
I'm tossing around the idea of picking up a lightweight motorcycle to run shuttles this year on certain runs. Just curious who uses a motorcycle for shuttling, and what bike? Have you ever tried tossing it in your raft for those runs that you have to backtrack to pick it up at the put in? How's your trailer set up?

#2 ·
I used a KLR 650 for a few years. I highly recommend the moto shuttle if you have a bike. The KLR is a little heavy to put on a hitch rack IMO, so I would ride it separate and whoever I was floating with would drive the rig pulling the raft. A smaller dirt bike would be ideal. Depending on the length of the shuttle, I also bike it or hitch hike if there is enough traffic.

#3 ·
Yamaha tw200, xt225 are both good.

If on dirt or very rural Roady a Honda trail 90/110 would be a light option.

If your shuttle includes highways I'd go with a klr650, dr400z, or something along those lines.

I have a klx 650, but it's a pig to load on trailer tongue. Thinking of picking up an xt225. Lighter and higher top end than my old tw200. Tw200 top speed was 38 mph if I remember correctly.

#4 ·
I've been looking at Trail 90s, but there's a TS100 near me for a good price that seems to be about right. Big enough to get me down the road, but small enough that I won't be able to get too stupid with it, and light enough to not worry much about too much tongue weight.

#7 ·
I use a DRZ 400. Versahauler hitch rack has a receiver hitch off the back. Mount the trailer ball back there and use my normal raft trailer to haul the boat. Solo days I can use my Watermaster 8' raft or a duck and leave the trailer at home.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app

#8 ·
MC shuttle

1979 DT 125, street and highway legal enduro

I use this bike on both my truck and van with a front receiver hitch and standard MC carrier. the aftermarket front receiver hitch is available for many trucks and larger vehicles, and it keeps the rear hitch available for pulling your raft trailer. the MC blocks the vehicle lights a little, and i have been planning a fog light addition for several years but never got to it. no legality issues i am aware of, i have never been pulled over for it.

http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/members/609-albums385-picture1875.jpg

http://www.mountainbuzz.com/forums/members/609-albums1749-picture7895.jpg

#12 ·
Kawasaki KLX250s. Dual sport so it's already street legal with lights, horn, and a gauge pod. It's under 300 lbs so it travels well on the tongue mounted motorcycle carrier on the raft trailer. 4 stroke so easy maintenance. With the 6 speed transmission I have had it up to 70+ mph on interstate but will comfortably sustain 60+ mph. Only downside I have is the 100+ mile range with the 2 gal tank but that's easily remedied. I've been content with the set up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.