Old 02-11-2011   #1
La Junta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1977
Momentum Rafts

Does anybody here know anything about the quality of Momentum rafts? I'm going to look at a 14' raft for sale, and was wondering about the reputation of the raft maker. Does anybody know when (or why) they went out of business?

Wishbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #2
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
About 10 years ago. Not sure why. If well taken care of and used a few times a year they should be trouble free. Rubber delam is pretty common weakness, along with worn out seam tape if used a lot. You'd probably be better off sticking with a used aire or sotar. PVC repair is a bit easier than hypalon, IMO

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011   #3
Avon, Connecticut
I had a 2-thwart Momentum bucket boat about 15 years ago. At the time it was a reasonably priced hypalon raft with fat tubes. It had Halkey Roberts valves, I think some Momentums also used military screw valves depending on the year.

It had thinner material than most rafts, but it also had a wrapped floor which protected the bottom of the tubes reasonably well. The top of the tubes were prone to punctures from careless handling such as flipping the raft over on the river bank to dump water or people tossing external frame backpacks into it (that incident made for a long day). It was fine for the type of class I-III river I was floating. If you're running big water, or a rocky river with lots of things that could bite a raft you may want to reconsider.

If this is a used outfitter boat you can expect it to be pretty patched up, with lots of wear on the floor. Inflate the chambers separately to check the integrity of the baffles, and if it has a self bailing floor I'd look closely at the I-beams for separation.

Not sure why they stopped making them as they were a decent entry level hypalon boat at the time. This raft has to be at least 10-15 years old, so I wouldn't pony up big $$ for it.

Good luck.
avonraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011   #4
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
I've got a bucket momentum where the floor and the thwarts were completely trashed. I cut the floor out and was going to rubbercoat the bottom and drop a frame in it. The tubes are in good shape considering the age. The boat has a big kick so I figured it could make a goog fishing "cat". Very cheap and I'll throw in the rubbercoat and have some Hollander fittings that could make a drop frame out of a STD NRs frame. Pm me if you are interested.
slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011   #5
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
I had a 13' self bailer about 10 years ago that I got used from Los Rios in Taos for $300. The front of the floor seam was separating and making a bubble. I had to slice the floor open from the top side and reglue the seam then sandwich patch the hole. It worked fine after that till I sold it. I just ran a soft floor. my only other complaint was small tube diameter.
"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote