Old 06-29-2015   #1
Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Modification Carlisle Blade?

For some time I have been noticing that any oar tether I use tends to catch at the neck of my carlisle oars, where the shaft meets the blade. Rings, loop straps. Every damn thing, really. I've sort of tolerated it until now, but twice this weekend I couldn't get an oar back into the yoke because the tether was binding at the neck of the blade, and it sort of mattered a whole lot both times. My first thought was to fix the problem by cutting the tether and throwing the damn oar in the river, but....I'm sort of cheap, and have about twelve damn carlisle oars for three boats. Surely most Carlisle owners have encountered this problem? Anybody have a quick modification? My best thought so far is to take a foam swimming pool noodle, slip about 3" over the neck of the paddle, and go large with duct tape or gorilla tape or something. Any other thoughts?

willpaddle4food is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015   #2
vancouver, Washington
Paddling Since: 1996
Rubber oar donut.

slamkal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015   #3
Fruita, Colorado
yea, that'd be nice and clean and free of duct tape. I wonder if you could ever get it back off if you wanted to use it for it's original purpose?
Old 06-29-2015   #4
"Just Read and Run Baby!"
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1993
Can't you just shorten the leash a little so it doesn't extend all the way down to that junction? Alternatively, tape the leash in place so it can't slide.
followthebubbleline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015   #5
Fruita, Colorado
Dunno. Something violent seems to happen while I'm looking elsewhere. I think the oar shoots all the way back out and catches the loop no matter how short it is. I think that violence would tear the tape off too. But if it happens one more time there's going to be a pile of used carlisles for sale
Old 06-29-2015   #6
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
I feel your pain (pain in the ass, that is). I forgot how annoying it was after moving to cataracts with magnum blades. They don't have the skinny neck that carlisles do, which 100% solves the problem. I recently had to run a spare with a carlisle and it all came flooding back. It seems like carlisle would have figured out some sort of solution, like a cone-shaped plastic collar that tapers to avoid the abrupt transition that always hangs up the tether ring/loop. That's all I got. I'd suggest selling all those carlisles and getting different oars and blades. Worked for me.
Show me your OOOOOO face
90Duck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015   #7
phoenix, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1970
What size are the carlisles?

I might buy one.
mjibilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015   #8
Fruita, Colorado
Yea, as I move into class 4 boating I am way less tolerant of the carlisles. Been waiting to get all my stupid oar-damaging moves out of my system. But I always have one more mystery move in my bag of stupid tricks.
I believe I'll keep the ones I have for creek oars, probably make my own plywood fiberglassed blades (WITHOUT NECKS) and use them for low water; so: none for sale yet. Hell, I pretty much have a junkyard for special needs carlisle oars at this point. Gonna abuse them and break them and step up to quality oars as fast as I can
Old 06-29-2015   #9
parowan, Utah
Paddling Since: 1996
easy fix... and a few times mine have snagged on the Middle Fork of the Salmon, and i need to make a move.... it sucks

any home center. plumbing dept...or where the glues are sold. forget what its called... but its two part plumbers epoxy putty. one part white the other dark gray(i think) mix the two together till you have a uniform color... roll a piece of it...wrap it around that collar and the bevel it with your fingers( need to work quickly, it starts to set up fairly quickly,if i remember right)..i used enough to bevel it uniformly ( from the lip to nothing)about 3/4".. if that makes sense... now theres nothing to catch onto... i did my oar blades 8 years ago and its worked great...rock hard and waterproof... bomber! happy boating....
johnnyvelvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2015   #10
bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
Easiest fix is to throw out all your carlisle blades! Lol

mtrafter is offline   Reply With Quote

blade, carlisle