Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 01-15-2014   #1
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 2013
Minimum gear before you'll invite someone on your trip??

I managed to float enough miles this last summer that Iím feeling confident enough to try some bigger trips this year. Iím applying for the Salmon, Gates of Ladore, Selway, Smith and others, but if the permits I want donít pan out Iíve got to hope I can get invited on a trip or two. Iíve got a very capable and complete boat, so all other factors being equal, what gear should I have before I can reasonably hope to get invited on some trips. Lets say 5 days with me and one other person in my boat.

For instance what size cooler should I have? Should every boat have a groover, camp table, fire pit, etc. Thanks for any input.

P.S. I realize there are a lot of varying factors to this answer, but I'm hoping to at least get minimally geared up for this summer so please feel free to add any input.

FatGuynaLitlBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #2
Avon, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1997
definitely a Cooler: 90 qt - 150 qt (whatever fits your boat- 14 ft would fit a 120 qt).
and at least 2 of the following: groover, fire pan, camp tarp, kitchen, table.

ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #3
Bazzaro, World
Paddling Since: 2020
Boobs! (-: If you don't have em, then PFD and the willingness to listen and help.
dirtbagkayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #4
Avon, Colorado
Tru dat. Boobs and liquor can go a long long way.

Anyone that invites you will have all the gear anyway (and most likely want to use thier own stuff). But you might as well start adding to your collection so you can go solo.
ENDOMADNESS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #5
Boy Howdy!
Colotucky, USA
Paddling Since: 2006
Beer for everyone, and whiskey for the trip organizer
Who's your monkey?
pinemnky13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #6
Sandy, Utah
A cooler (90 or bigger), dry box or cargo space to carry some group gear, 2 good sized water jugs, safety gear for your boat (1-2 throw bags, First Aid kit, repair kit, pin kit maybe), a spare oar, a decent pump, an invasive species tag for Idaho, a willingness to pitch in with meal planning (yummy recipes are a plus), and a good attitude. The good attitude is the most important.....because chances are, as the noobie, you may end up carrying the groover.

Bonus point are awarded for a truck & trailer. The group items I've added over the years are.....dutch ovens, fire pan & ash container, group tarps, roll-a-tables, groover, and the truck & trailer.

Welcome to the wonderful world of rafting. Open your heart, open your mind, and open your wallet.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #7
Colo Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
It's always good to own some basic gear, like a table of some sort, a groover, lantern, or a rain shelter.

To help your chances of getting on a trip with minimal gear for now, offer the trip leader that you'll try to fill in whatever gear gaps his group might have, or will supply drinks for a night or two.
David L is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #8
Vail, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
It seems like most trips it would be nice to have another table...
Sleepless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #9
flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 09
I don't have boobs, but I have a boat, a truck, a trailer, groovers, water filter, dutch ovens (and I am not afraid to use em) two coolers and the rest of the kitchen for that matter. and taps for kegs. All very helpful when inviting myself on other peoples permits.....
sleighr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2014   #10
cedar city, Utah
All of your own personal gear for the boat, including what is needed for that particular river. (cooler, water jugs, etc)

Dry box space is always in high demand. Extra cargo space for other passengers gear is helpful. An extra passenger spot for the TLs buddies can go a long way.

My first few years I only was able to contribute a camp table and fire pan. 7 years later I can pretty much offer anything needed for a multi-day party. Most folks are looking more at your skill sets and personality on a trip....gear deficits can easily be overcome.

Skills that a big sellers: good cook; whitewater rescue skills; medical certifications. You get the point.

It takes years to build up the set. If really looking at what gear to buy then I would say start with the items that get you independent on rivers, i.e. all the stuff that most rivers regulate. Then build up other items from there.

Enjoy the upcoming season!

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote