Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

Old 01-17-2014   #41
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by Gremlin View Post
I like this a lot. As a trip leader it is very frustrating to send out detailed emails and then not hear back from some people.
+1 on this. A reliable person is valuable to have on trips. Show up on time. Bring the stuff you were asked to bring. Make sure the stuff you bring works (propane tank actually has propane in it, etc). Communicate well with the trip leader during the planning phase of the trip. Like Gremlin said above....Nothing worse than a trip member who never responds to planning emails or phone calls.

"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #42
Craigamerica, -
Skills huh?...... I'm pretty good with a bow staff. That and maken mom jokes.

And if you bring the groover don't forget the shit'r seat.

sledhooligan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2014   #43
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I love the empty boat advice!
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #44
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I bring a boat with a Bimini top, attachable shower curtains and a power shower. (see stupid guide tricks web site for how to build instructions) note: mount the u brackets on the inside of the bucket. I redesigned the shower after my first one had the brackets broken off by a careless packer. You will be the only one to have this (most likely) and be very popular with the I can't stand dirty hair or I'm a little shy side crowd.

I end up carrying 20# extra pounds of propane because of this.
bighorn1478@msn.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #45
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
Originally Posted by elkhaven View Post
1- Be dependable, don't say your in unless you know you can swing it. If you say you'll go you better go or you won't get other invites. If your 80% sure you can make it, say that and inform folks of your reasons. That way if the 20% happens nobody thinks it's just and excuse.

My no-shows are black listed from any trip, unfortunatley it grows exponentially quicker than the list of reliables.

...and it's been said but nothing annoys me more than someone who doesn't help around camp. There's lots people that don't get invited anymore because of that one too. I don't care who you are or what your disability is you better do something...at least be a good storyteller.

I'm a pretty equal opportunity tripper as I know alot of people just haven't had the chance to enjoy the trips (whitewater, fishing, camping) that I have and do. But as you can see from above, I'm more into excluding people after they have shown their uselessness.
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #46
Louisville, Colorado
I wouldn't buy gear until you need it. If the TL says they need a groover, get a groover. After a few years you will have the all the gear needed to outfit a trip. A great kitchen seems to be one of the tougher essentials to pull together, or at least that is one place where I feel like my gear is still weak.
catwoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2014   #47
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by catwoman View Post
I wouldn't buy gear until you need it. If the TL says they need a groover, get a groover. After a few years you will have the all the gear needed to outfit a trip....
Bri's got a good point.

And remember that along the way, if you REALLY need something that's out of reach for you at the time, you can probably rent it.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #48
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
Just don't be the one bringing the shit show. Be organized and easy to work with. Carry your own safety/self rescue/patch kit so you can deal with any problems that may arise when boats get spread out. There's usually plenty of kitchens and gadgetry on more seasoned boaters rigs. I always carry lots of extra dry warm clothing for the unprepared. Helpful attitude and your lack of extra crap will make you a great garbage barge.
spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014   #49
Helena, Montana
Paddling Since: 2013
OK well, I was completely stumped on every application I submitted. Smith, Selway, Main, Middle, Hells, Gates of Ladore, and others. I even tried to stay away from the holidays and busier dates. I must be doing something wrong. I've started looking for cancellations, but I'm not yet used to the cumbersome Government websites. If anyone feels so inclined, please contact me if you know your going to cancel. I think my odds may be better if I can call an office at the same time you cancel.
FatGuynaLitlBoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014   #50
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
Maybe you are on to something. It would be cool if we had a place on here to post our cancellations so people could view and possibly pick them up. I've heard a lot of people got stumped this year, even in Oregon.
Anything to make the governmental side of trips easier.

Wishing I was on the river instead of surfing the web...
Learch is offline   Reply With Quote