Old 03-08-2015   #1
Wedowee, Alabama
Paddling Since: 2010
Mini-max Welfelt Frame?

I have seen lots of pics of mini-me welfelt frames but not the mini-max. Does anybody have a mini-max with this setup? Pics? Just curious how it is setup. The mimime verson looks to tie into the thwart pins which are centered on he boat. The mini max thwart pins are not centered, does this make the oar position front of center for a minimax with welfelt frame? Also I see there is an option for an extra front seat, does anybody have a picture or feedback on this?

mikehd1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015   #2
Delta, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1971
The set up is actually the same. With the mini-max, two additional thwart knuckles have to be glued in the center left and right. There are going to be some rafts coming from the factory this spring that have the center thwart knuckles already in place.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

John the welder is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015   #3
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
I spoke to John a couple months ago about getting one of those frames for my mini-max and was informed that you need to install thwart knuckles in the middle on the mini-max. They would have been inconveniently placed for R2ing so I just built a single bay frame that weighs barely more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	frame attachment to mini-max.jpeg
Views:	289
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	9452  
"Ski bums need something to do in the summer, and river rats need something to do in the winter." -Old Colorado mountain bum adage
almortal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2015   #4
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Putting a Welfelt frame on a Max is just about the best thing you can do in life. I have not found the extra thwart knuckles to be in the way when paddling without the frame. In fact, I've ran my Max with one thwart in the middle for a sweet R-2 setup. I would also recommend a front seat. The Max is big enough where you're not hitting a passenger with your oars, and it's also great for gear. This rig is great for running the tightest water, surfing and big water (as long as you have some ballast up front).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	5Y0A6101.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	995.6 KB
ID:	9453  
SBranson is offline   Reply With Quote