Old 08-21-2016   #1
Englewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Mini-max or alternative? And best frame?

I've searched and read prior posts on this topic but would appreciate any updated advice. Have used an NRS Otter for years and love it, but considering moving to a smaller raft that is easier to haul around and load back onto the trailer (as my aging back isn't what it used to be). Intrigued by mini-max and only concern is whether it is sufficiently stable. Spend most of time fly-fishing on Roaring Fork, Colorado, Green and Arkansas. Your thoughts would be appreciated?

Also, any alternatives to the mini-max you would consider? Prefer to stay in that 10.5 maybe 11' max length.

Finally, any thoughts on comparison/differences between the various frames for the mini-max for fishing? I've heard good things about frames built by Boatworks and Welfelt.

Thanks a lot for the advice.

Dakota7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016   #2
Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Otter has mini rafts down to 9.5'

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016   #3
Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
There have been a few similar threads lately regarding these smaller boats. Use the search as there is lots of good info already discussed. It often seems to come down to the Storm, or smaller Hyside's.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016   #4
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Give the Culebra from Jacks plastic Welding a consideration, super light, highly manuverible, very stable for it's size. You can row it with a standard raft frame, get the cargo slings and do short multi day's, and it even breaks down into luggage sized pieces if you ever wanted to fly some where. Plus Jack builds quality stuff in the USA.

I have a scrap of plywood cut just shy of the floor size, that I stand on and is solid. I don't even have to strap it in, the thwarts make it nearly impossible to come out, unless maybe I flipped and popped my thwarts. Then I guess I would be out a scrap of plywood.
" I wish I were a headlight, on a North bound train..."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016   #5
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
Cant think of a better option then the Rocky Mountain Raft. It has the drop stitch floor so its even better for fishing and its far cheaper. My buddy is a fishing guide and has a few company boats he owns but his personal boat is a RMR and he loves it
Treswright3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2016   #6
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1978
Small Fishing Boats

I've been a Float guide on the Ark for years. I have been amazed at the stability of the 10.5 boats. Both the Storm and the Mini-max behave really well, and with the RiverboatWorks BWO frame, provide a great platform for the fisherman. I've fished Brown's at 1400cfs in the mini-max, and it's great in the smaller, fall water.Click image for larger version

Name:	Zoom Flume fishing.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	1.26 MB
ID:	12224

Riverboat Works is offline   Reply With Quote