Old 11-06-2013   #21
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by johnovice View Post
So, my suggestion about the string and wondering about just how flat it should be (and hoping others would chime in on that) was getting to this "longest" question. The tubes begin to slope up slightly -- is the max length to avoid any beyond the totally "flat section"? and if not, what seems reasonable in an effort to maximize length? The minimax has a continuous curve; it does not have a separate panel where the outer tube begins to slope upward. Using the "string method" for sake of discussion, (with both raft and string nice and tight), should the center of the string be completely flush with the tube? How about an inch of space?????
According to the Hyside catalog, the Mini-Max has a straight section of 48 inches. I'd measure and see if that's what you have to work with. Make sure you get your balance right so you're not popping a wheelie down the river. Once you get it all figured out, you'll be having a blast in that little sports car boat!

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2013   #22
Thronton, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
If you order fittings and tubing online (lots of places to buy from), you can get the materials and cut to whatever size you want. I started with a bit longer frame initially, then cut it down a couple of inches once I figured out where I wanted stuff, how big a rowing compartment I wanted, etc.

Even if you buy parts from NRS, I'd suggest ordering on the long side - you can always go shorter. It's kinda tough to stretch something that's too short... LOL

BoilermakerU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #23
Edwards, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2008
mini max frame

Originally Posted by John the welder View Post
My frame is 14 lbs. with the bench seat.
Could you post a picture of your mini max frame? I am in need of a frame for mine and would be interested in purchasing one from you.

michalwolk82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2014   #24
Gardnerville, Nevada
Paddling Since: 00
Look at the first page of this thread for a pic of johns frame
more snow = more water
oarframe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014   #25
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
I use my Culebra frame on a Mini Max all the time. It is a 48" NRS. I believe the side rails are 65 or 68". The frame sits a bit outside the center of the tubes, which is fine, and that allows the longer side rails to fit. There are probably 3 to 6" nubs sticking past the end crossbars. You could cut it down yourself if you wanted. Me and the boat's owner like 8" towers and 8' oars. We're both over 6' tall.

I agree with the wooden seat (though not the cans) as it is a cheap and light way to go. My seat is just 1x pine. It is curved on the back to fit the inside of the Culebra thwart, the ends sit on the side rails, and the single crossbar goes about under the middle of the board. A $5 used jigsaw and some sandpaper is all you need. Be creative and have fun.

jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote