Old 02-05-2015   #1
Mini Bank toilet system

Does anyone have any opinions on or personal experience with Selway Fabrications Mini Bank toilet system? I see that it doesn't have a tank like the bigger version. From the photos the lid looks like it will be secure and the cleaning system is the same as the big model. Since I don't get on many large trips anymore the smaller size is what got me interested. Is it too short? Will it meet requirements for most Western rivers and Grand Canyon? Any problems that you may have encountered with this groover?

Thanks in advance!

poudreraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015   #2
The Old Troll
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Can't imagine why you would buy a toilet system for the Grand. Rent the system from the company doing your shuttle and let them take it away at the take out and clean it. Now that's money well spent. Having someone else clean up 256 poops priceless.

Why does Pluto walk on all fours, drink from a dog bowl, and get treated like...a dog, while Goofy drives a car, wears clothing, and speaks in English?
David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2015   #3
Carbondale, CO
Paddling Since: 2000
The Mini Bank must be new. That looks like a great size compared to the River Bank. My buddy has a River Bank and it's super stable to poop in but it's BIG to rig. I like the looks of the mini.
Kendarflugen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015   #4
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I thought about getting one, but decided against it based on size & price. I was looking for a small toilet for small boat & kayaking/3-4 day trips. It's a nice looking design and should meet requirements (not sure about the GC). It it's very tall though, and doesn't have an inner tank, but can be cleaned out like the bigger River Bank. For my small boat & kayak trips, a bag system is acceptable, so I'm going that route.
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015   #5
NE, Oregon
I have used the Mini-bank several times.

It's a low sit.

The hole is adequate but not generous, much like sitting on an eco-safe.

You need a "wrench" (notched plywood to fit recesses in lid) to turn the lid and some patience to get the lid off. It fits snugly and can be challenging to pull it out of the hole, usually in the most urgent of circumstances.

Our group didn't think it would work in a SCAT Machine, the outer lid would get in the way.

Other than those criticisms, I think it is good tool to have in the tool box. It's small enough to rig most places. Which makes it convenient as a day groover. Large enough to handle a small group for many days. 4 gallons of capacity, I think.

RV clean out is easy.

For what it is, I think it does very well.

Full discloser: I own a full size River Bank and think they're the best overall groover. I have also received excellent customer service when I have requested information and help from Selway Fab
Willie 1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015   #6
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1999

Hey guys,
Nate here from SelwayFab. We love all feedback, I'm rarely on MB, but came across this thread and thought I'd pop in and chat. I love all feedback and ideas for improvement. We saw a need with more and more self-support IKers and canoers so we took a stab at a dedicated groover for that market.

We had several outfitters from Idaho and Oregon weigh in on the design, one of their important goals was off the shelf replaceable parts, as their hard working guides sometimes loose parts in the fray. We went with an off the shelf deck hatch as the main point of entry, and boy is it tough to open at first. They do break in eventually...

We are working with the vendor of the deck hatches to have them modify their mold to add a check-hatched pattern on the top-inside of the lid to add some grip (think pistol grip). Tight is good for a seal, but terrible in an emergency.

These Minis are definitely not SCAT machine compatible. I personally find SCATs to be disgusting and always use the RV clean out, much more sanitary.

Interestingly enough, approx same gallons as the full size RB, however as a guy, I wouldn't test it...

Thanks for considering our products. I hope this is OK that I jump into your conversation. Again, in my opinion, there is no such thing as negative feedback.

Nate@SelwayFab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015   #7
The Box, ~
Paddling Since: 1992

How many gallons is the mini? Also, can you post a picture of the back section (RV clean-out)? Seriously intrigued that this may fill my requirements for 'mini' trips.

riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015   #8
Fort Collins, Colorado
Nate, thanks for chiming in.

Always good to hear from the manufacturers about the intended vision of a specific product.
mervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015   #9
B.V., Colorado
I have the minibank. I like it, good for small group overnights and small enough to be rigged in our puma with ease.
The hole IS small. So small that, as a guy, leaves no option for peeing in the groover...basically you can't fit your junk inside while you sit. Seemed a little awkward the first time I used it, but I'm used to the process now.
"Huck Finn?...more like huck-and-swim"
Melrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015   #10
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1999
I need to do an accurate calc for volumn, we haven't actually done this with the last round of mold tweaks that we made.

Nate@SelwayFab is offline   Reply With Quote