Mesh bags and the like - Mountain Buzz

Old 09-09-2016   #1

Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1965
Mesh bags and the like

So a little unsolicited feedback on mesh gear in case anyone is buying some. In 2012 I bought 3 mesh duffles, a couple of drop bags, an everything bag, a dish drying bag,and a bag for my dishwashing setup. Split the purchase from Down-River and Tough River Stuff in Salida. I noticed right away that the TRS gear was made with heavier fabric and better materials. None of it was cheap but I didn't notice a lot of difference in price between either supplier. In four seasons of rafting, nearly all the DRE bags have failed - either busted zippers, split seams or just unravveling of the fabric because the joints weren't adequately backed up.. The TRS gear has been BOMBER. Not a single failure of any type. Tougher fabric, better zippers, stronger strapping - just better product all around. Not busting anybody's chops and I still buy gear at DRE but for mesh gear there is no comparison if you want your gear to last more that a couple of years. BTW if you haven't tried the everything bag for packing gear you should. One of the biggest labor savers I've ever bought for River trips

jgrebe is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-09-2016   #2

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
Love my tuff river stuff everything bag. Three years and hundreds of Rio miles still going strong.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016   #3

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
I am also a huge fan of tuff river stuff. I have a duffel, a thwart bag, and a blue table dish thing, and it is all overbuilt and very well designed. I purchased a cascade everything bag, and while it has been good so far, it is not as heavily built as the trs version.
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2016   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Agreed. I have also tried the bags from Wet Dreams river supply and TRS is by far the most burly... No comparison to the others.
CSHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016   #5

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
I agree with you, jgrebe. The TRS DEB is a huge time saver when packing and hauling your gear. We've had our for about 6 years and easily well over a thousand river miles. It's still in like new condition.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016   #6

Jenks, Oklahoma
Add me to the fan list of River Rat Ray's products.

I have a lot of Tuff River Stuff gear and zero failures over the years.

Good stuff and you can stop by the shop in Salida to chat with the people who make the gear. I have been in the area for boating, stopped by the shop for special requests, the ladies sewed it up and next day I was using same on the river.

Made in America, for boaters by boaters.

Good stuff

dave
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016   #7
Sponsoring Vendors

Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
Thanks you guys! We definitely do try to make all of our gear as tough as possible! (Double walled, double stitched, double tough!) The whole point was to make gear that would last Us for thousands upon thousands of river miles, so it's always great to hear when other folks are getting thousands upon thousands of river miles out of our gear! And yeah, like okieboater said, you can always swing by the shop to say hi and see where the magic happens. Oh, and If any of our gear should ever fail on you... we'll fix it for free. Because we did build it to last. SYOTR!
Old 09-10-2016   #8

Keystone, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuffRiverStuff View Post
Thanks you guys! We definitely do try to make all of our gear as tough as possible! (Double walled, double stitched, double tough!) The whole point was to make gear that would last Us for thousands upon thousands of river miles, so it's always great to hear when other folks are getting thousands upon thousands of river miles out of our gear! And yeah, like okieboater said, you can always swing by the shop to say hi and see where the magic happens. Oh, and If any of our gear should ever fail on you... we'll fix it for free. Because we did build it to last. SYOTR!
This is why I love TRS gear! So happy with all of my gear purchases (everything bag, mesh dish dryer, captains bag, mesh gear bag, drag bag and 2 mesh duffle bags) - I actually look for an excuse to buy more of their gear just 'cause it's so awesome.
didee99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2016   #9

north little rock, Arkansas
True story: A buddy and I took a last minute flying road trip out west last winter. One of our stops was TRS. As we pulled up on a Sunday afternoon Ray was locking up; I mean it was Sunday afternoon. I joked that we'd come all the way from Arkansas to see him. He just glanced at us, unlocked the door and said "well come on in!".

I bought a pile of miscellaneous gear a few months ago over the phone and some of the straps were the wrong size (because I ordered the wrong size). They offered to just send out some of the right size but the shorter ones ended up working fine. Anywho, good folks in addition to good gear at TRS!
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bag