A few safety reminders from our friends at OSHA;
1) Hand tools, such as hammers carry inherent risks to the user and others nearby. These risks can be reduced by following some safety rules
2) Inspect hammers to insure that they are in good working condition before, during, and after use.
3) Wear safety equipment, including eye and ear protection.
4) Insure that the work area is clear of hazards, such as tripping hazards, moving machinery and obstacles.
5) Use the appropriate hammer for the job considering the material and environment.
6) Injury risk increases if the user is unfamiliar with the operation of the tool and/or has physical limitations that inhibit proper use.