Old 04-24-2015   #21
Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1989
Bend trailers question

Originally Posted by dogalot View Post
I bought a 8x10 flatbed from those guys in the mid 1990s. I should have looked at it more carefully. Each angle iron supporting the bed had a torch-cut hole in it to route the wiring. What happens when you cut a hole in angle iron? It breaks. After a season of use, the trailer was worthless. I complained and they sent me to their favorite welder who added metal at my direction, and at no cost to me. Overall, though, a bad experience.
Are you referring to Bend Trailers? The brand I'm looking at from them is the Iron Eagle manufacturer. They are built with box tubing wiring is run inside with grommets where the wiring exits. Longer tongues for better towing and backing. What I've seen from the detailed images and specs they seem like a solid build. Lifetime warranty on the frames.

WahooDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015   #22
Alta Lake, BC
Paddling Since: 1982
M&M design and quality questionable. Had to re-wire with armoured cable, re-weld spare tire mount (welds broke) and back brace winch upright. When you go to pick up the trailer and the guy has a gun on his hip, you are not in a position to point out any flaws.

Chancho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015   #23
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1975
Wahoo, I've checked out Bend trailers in person. If you go for the Iron Eagles get the "Magnum" with metal sides and a solid tube top rail. I was looking for a dual purpose utility/raft trailer and it would be much easier to attach cross bars or a platform to the rail. The long tongue would let your boat hang over the front a bit more than some other brands. Also the bed is 2x6's with some gaps between, not solid.
Aerocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2015   #24
Park City, Utah
Originally Posted by WahooDad View Post
I was doing research today and came across this disturbing report

Ripoff Report | M&M trailer sales Complaint Review Stevensville, Montana: 1208248

I'm now looking into sawtooth trailers in Napa Idaho
Raft specific flat bed. Also a utility/raft combo.
Page Title

I'm also impressed wth bend trailers out of Oregon. Very well built box framed 15 inch tires 3500 lb axles lots of options. They also have raft specific. I like the 5' wide box the your raft can go up on the rails with gear underneath
Iron Eagle Voyager 5' X 8' #V5082 Utility Trailer #10842 -
What should I expect to pay for a 5x12 box, 15" tires, 3500 lb 2990 GVWR, Box tube frame, quality trailer. It should be capable of holding to 3 rafts and gear. 1 of those rafts could sit on the top of the boxed in frame area. Sawtooth trailers in Napa Idaho is showing $2200 on its site.

Also opinions on torsion spring vs. leaf springs?
Old 04-24-2015   #25
Park City, Utah
I would not like gaps in the boards as often when traveling down rocky offbeat roads rocks can find there way into the trailer then the vibration between rolled rafts and the small rocks is sure to cause a hole.
Old 04-24-2015   #26
Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1975
I was looking at a 5x10 "Magnum" and I think it was going for around $1700 Probably a couple hundred more for 5x12. The guy at BT said most folks put a sheet of plywood on the bottom and that kept out most of the dust and dirt.
Aerocam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015   #27
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Originally Posted by Montana Russ View Post
So it has been nearly a year with your trailer, do you have any feedback either positive or negative about the M&M? I followed this thread and another leading to another trailer maker, but I already have a homemade trailer similar in function to the tall one with storage. I'll be 70 next month and looking to have something low and easy for my new Cat. Thanks.
No problems with trailer, works as advertised. I use it mostly locally, but it has been to Deso, Lodore, and Yampa, stored outside over the winter, some paint cracking around the ball cup, slight. It is my first trailer so can't compare. I know a couple of folks with an M and M and they haven't complained to me anyway.
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015   #28
Helena, Montana
M&M trailers

I usually wouldn't do something like this but I feel that people should know what goes on at m&m. I purchased my aire 3 years ago and it came with an m&m trailer. I've had nothing but problems with it since. The way these things are built is incredibly terrible. Mine has rattled itself to pieces several times in different spots on the trailer and left me stranded. I finally was pissed off enough last time that it happened that I called over there to collect on their "lifetime warranty". What a joke that was. I told the guy where the trailer had broken several times and he accused me of overloading it first, I explained to him that I am a contractor and in no shortage of trailers. This trailer is only used for my raft. After a few minutes of arguing and calling me a liar he decided that he never built this trailer! It's covered in m&m stickers and is identical to all the ones he's selling, but he insisted it was a copycat and wanted nothing to do with it. What a joke. I ended up completely rebuilding the thing myself and giving it to my brother. A friend recommended Sunshine Sports in Billings MT and I ended up buying one from them. These trailers are a little more money but very, very well built. I talked with Mike, the owner, for a while and he was a stand up guy. I told him about my previous trailer and he never discredited m&m. I will be bringing any business I can to those guys now. End of rant...
Jsully72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015   #29
Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
I hope you don't take this wrong but if you really had a problem with an M&M trailer you should have just stuck to that story. The moment you plug for a different company in the same region it looks suspicious like it may be just a setup from a competitor. I havn't heard good things about M&M but I won't follow it up with a different one that I like. Just a thought. Sorry your having problems.
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2015   #30
TV, Idaho
After talking to the guy at M&M and looking at the pictures on his website, I decided he definitely wasn't the guy for me. He's advertising his terrible weld quality right on his website. After listening to him tell a bunch of lies about how horrible C&B Trailers all aluminum raft trailer is, I hung up and bought the C&B. So glad I did. The aluminum trailer is expensive but worry free and easy to wheel around by hand. Super happy customer here.

M3mphis is offline   Reply With Quote