Old 10-23-2014   #11
Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Have you considered a cat at all? I find them more comfortable for fishing, the tubes roll up easily in my car and the frame goes right on the roof rack. Just a thought

ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014   #12
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Riverboatworks had a 14' RMR with frame for $2500 recently. Best raft deal I've seen in years.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014   #13
montrose, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
If you are looking closely at RMR and NRS as your initial post states, I would strongly recommend avoiding the NRS "outlaw" series. I have seen the RMRs, and they look like very good pvc boats. If you can afford one, the NRS otters are very nice and they are made of Pennel Orca material (hypalon) which I am a big proponent of.

I have no experience with the NRS "Patriot" series nor the xr mariner material that they are made of.
mikepart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014   #14
Fort Collins, Colorado
I am interested to know where you live and what rivers you will use this raft on the most? I ask because I recently moved to Colorado and have a raft mainly for fishing. I lived in Oregon and back there the river laws are high water mark so floating and fishing by myself was no problem. I used the boat for transportation mostly so I could get to water that I could not access from land. Water that was public in the actual river but private land all around.

Now that I am in Colorado my rig has been used for fishing only twice and both were short trips on the Poudre river. Floating and fishing solo feels almost impossible here in Colorado. So I am interested because if you know of a river with enough public access to drop anchor please let me know. Next summer I plan to put some time in on the upper Colorado since there is a lot of public areas and fingers crossed it works out good.

With that said my wife and I also use the raft for overnight trips. So far we have yet to get out here in Colorado but again next season we have a few trips planned already.

I run a very minimalist setup and I suggest you do the same. I do trailer my raft but I keep things simple because that is my style but also when I do travel far for a trip I rather pack my gear in the car and put the frame on the roof. If I had a larger truck I would pull the trailer for sure.

I have a simple frame that has one bar with rowing seat in the back and them one bay in the front that I put a cooler in. It works great because if I do go fishing I can shorten the straps keeping the cooler very high making it almost a lean seat. It works much better then I had expected.

That is really all you need. A frame with floors would probably be great but I agree that it is just more crap to get your line tangled on. And keep in mind a frame that is big and complicated will be much harder to put on your roof rack.
T1112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014   #15
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by 802flyfish View Post
Do we get a discount through our partners for rafts?
Sorry to disappoint you but I'm not aware of any special discounts MB members get from our sponsors that would help you right now. If someone's got something they may chime in.

However you can find out about their sales here pretty easily and you can just scroll through the Partner's Directory and use the links directly to their websites to make shopping, or contacting them, much easier.

I'll echo what everyone is saying about a trailer. Time on the river is too precious to spend at the boat ramp pumping up and rigging every time you go.
Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Andy H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014   #16
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
The upper C, Arkansas, Gunnison and North Platte should be on your radar- while all have sections that are posted, there is an awful lot of public land where you can anchor and wade legally. When I run afowl of a landowner by mistake, I'm overly respectful and responsive. Don't want to make a difficult situation worse.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014   #17
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Mo money, mo problems. No money... exponential problems

Everyone is saying buy used... I wish I had that kind of money laying around.... my purchase of a new boat is my excuse to "BUILD CREDIT"
"Yeah I called her up, she gave me a bunch of crap about me not listenin' to her enough, or somethin'. I don't know, I wasn't really payin' attention."
FishVailStevo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014   #18
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by FishVailStevo View Post
Everyone is saying buy used... I wish I had that kind of money laying around.... my purchase of a new boat is my excuse to "BUILD CREDIT"
I figured that after you made a similar comment above...that's why I didn't reiterate the used deal in Jackson, which is the best deal I've seen in a while...

Anyways you can always convince yourself your building credit, but in reality your just building debt. I'm not preaching I'm speaking from experience, I've been battling credit card debt incurred right after college, that financed a really fun time in my life I might add, for the past dozen years. You don't need to go all in, but I do understand your predicament. Good luck!
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014   #19
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Gotta agree- you don't build credit with an expensive toy.

Hard won lesson from my youth- take it or leave it

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2014   #20
Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
So I found a 13 rmr for 1,700 new. I have the option of getting an otter for 15% off as well..

802flyfish is offline   Reply With Quote