Old 03-09-2012   #21
, MA
Just grab some 2x4s, sit on your frame and see what would comfortably get the blades in the water, then you know what length you need. It will be better if you can be on water of some kind so that you are looking at the right point for getting the blades in.

Or, just use 2x4s, then you don't need to worry about if they break on the skinny creeks your running.

Jones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #22
north little rock, Arkansas
Smoke, where are you planning to get into class V water? We don't really have any here, and most of our whitewater (with a few exceptions) is too technical for a fourteen foot raft. Just curious.

lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #23
NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
One thing to remember to is the drop in your boat effects your seat height, I worried I would be up too high on my boat on a DRE type seat but ordered it anyway, it's easy to remove. What I noticed on my boat almost 16' is that I'm almost touching the cooler under my seat, essentially the same height as sitting on the cooler. So no way to avoid "weird geometry" that I can see if I want the boat to do what it's meant to do basically haul a lot of shit. The cooler is only a 120 qt, not one of the bigger ones becoming more common. Speaking of guides I noticed also that many guides in ID are going with overlapping oar handles. I asked one of them what the reason and the answer I got was "more leverage", so I guess everyone has an opinion about what they like even guides and I can promise you pushing a loaded commercial boat on the Main Salmon is going to be different then the Ark.

But if I had to hazard a guess I think this guy needs 9.5" oars based on his measurements, the standard drop for a 14' boat is 13" so more then likely if he is sitting on a cooler or drybox he's stuck at a certain height. But here's somebodys formula who builds oars: Wooden Rowing Oars - Shaw & Tenney

Originally Posted by climbdenali View Post
I've been guiding on the Arkansas for over a decade. I've been observing guides liking longer and longer oars. Personally, I run 10' oars on my 18' raft that I use for overnight trips. On our 14' commercial boats, I run 8' oars. We have one 8.5' set that I use occasionally now. The advantage with shorter oars is quicker strokes that don't take so much umph to get going. I also find a shorter oar less grabby when you dip a blade into slack water.

You can avoid the weird geometry referred to above by not having overly tall towers. If you use the DRE style chairs over top of a cooler, you're going to have goofy geometry because you're sitting so high up, taller towers required to clear your knees, and consequently,longer oars are needed. I always sit directly on the cooler.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #24
Southern, Oregon

I copy what your saying. I am talking out my arrrs a bit because I have only run 10's with my boat and for the most part and I like them. At least to the point where I not going to spend the coin to change them. They do however seem like wings at times that like to hit things and 10.5's not with my setup. Raftus has some good points. Maybe I will get taller oar stands and increase the angle a bit
Duce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #25
North Bend, Washington
Paddling Since: 2009
When I got my 14' boat from AIRE last year they said 9 ft oars. I got 9 ft oars and they seem to work fine. Then again- I haven't tried anything else.

Kendi is offline   Reply With Quote