Old 06-17-2016   #31
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2005
canyon coolers... I run an 120 qt... it's well designed, bomber proof, and holds ice great!

IdahoRK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016   #32
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
I resisted a rotomolded cooler for years....not really necessary unless you are going to be out for more than 3 nights or so, but....

I saw an igloo sportsman 55 (54 quarts) a few weeks ago for $200. I knew from a field and stream review posted here on MB that it rated 4th overall and in ice retention out of 12 of the "top brand" Rotomolded coolers, right behind the 3rd place YETI. Well my GF had just given me $200 for my b-day to spend on something that I would not buy for myself. This was it, I pulled the trigger.

This weekend was the first test, it really did great and exceeded my expectations. I like the shape and wasted space for the raft frame. It's just small enough where I can carry it myself (carefully). I'm usually really anal with my cooler management but this weekend I said screw it, let's see what this thing's I did everything I normally would yell at people doing with the cooler (opening often, open and look around, no ice blocks etc...) I still had lotsa ice at the end of the trip, so if nothing else I don't have to work so hard at keeping a coleman 48 cold and I spent half of what I could have (but wouldn't have) on the "better" coolers.

2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016   #33
Montrose, Colorado
Plus one on the Canyon. Just go off of Deso-Gray with my Prospector and could not be more pleased. We had Root Beer floats with Ice cream on day 4. On the last night, I was giving away huge blocks of ice and using it for drinks all around since I had so much. It still had a huge, solid chunk of ice when I got home so even our leftovers were usable. I think with horrible cooler management you could have a lot of ice for a 7 day trip and with good cooler management could go for a couple weeks.

The features are very well thought out. The front drain plug is genius. The ability to strap it in with two 1' straps (I did 4, but you could just use two) and still have full access to the box is fantastic. The grooves in the lid line up so that the loop straps I use for the Summit cooler cover are recessed. Really a great system.
QuietHunter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016   #34
cedar city, Utah
Just wrapped up my second trip with the Canyon Coolers Prospector and I continue to be pleased. 6 days of full sun and 85+ degree days and we had plenty of ice leftover (actually 7 days with transport day). I love drinking ice cold water out of our frozen 2.5 gallon jugs on the final days.

Design is brilliant. I use four small straps to attach the cooler in the assigned slots then a single 6-9 footer from side to side to keep the lid closed (rig to flip). No more hot metal cam straps in awkward locations. The basket system is diverse in application. The front facing drain is easy to use before driving home. The beast is going to last years.

Only one caveat, keep it latched if its in the sun. Rotomolded coolers tend to warp more than the cheapo Marine cooler I use to have. Easy to remedy and reverse if it happens but prevention is easy.

restrac2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016   #35
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 2011
Canyon Cooler are awesome. USA Business. Cheaper than the other brand.
Call them up and see if you can get a blemished on on a discount.
I cant find the blem on my blem!
desertSherpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016   #36
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Oh man.......I was already lusting in my heart for a Prospector and you guys are making it worse.
Anybody in the SLC area want to buy my two year old Canyon Sailor 105 so I can spend more money on the Prospector??????!
"We are all visitors to this time, this place. We are just passing through. Our purpose here is to observe, to learn, to grow, to love....and then we return home."
Australian Aboriginal Proverb
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2016   #37
Missoula, Montana
Paddling Since: 2004
Orca Coolers on Woot

I saw these this morning on Woot.

ORCA Extra Heavy Duty Coolers - Sport.Woot
Porterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016   #38
Saratoga, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 2013
These are all smaller coolers but it gives some insight on some brands I haven't heard of before

Sent from my XT1060 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
bray1720 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016   #39
Livingston, Montana
Paddling Since: 1974
Yup, that prospector seems like an awesome product. May download the Yeti 110 and pick up one of these. Folks that run Canyon are awesome, too. Just stopped by their warehouse in Flagstaff.
mtgreenheads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016   #40
Chandler, Arizona
Paddling Since: '92
Just finished a 9 day trip on Deso Gray with a 125 quart Yetti. Lined the bottom with six blocks of ice, and two extras on the top. This was the main cooler for the trip (being opened and closed at each meal, plus storing a few drinks. Finished the trip with 6 partials, and hacked up the other two for icey cold drinks. The sticker shock will quickly fade when you are the only one with ice left.

Hooter is offline   Reply With Quote