Mountain Buzz banner

Load points in inflatable canoe

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  cep32 
#1 · (Edited)
I know this isn't strictly rafting related but it is more relevant here than in a canoeing forum.

I have an Incept C42T which is a three person inflatable canoe. I am heading off on a five day river trip (Clarence River in New Zealand) and need to sort out how to keep gear attached to the boat should things get a little upside down.

In an attempt to keep weight low down in the boat I was thinking of gluing on a couple of d-rings at the bottom of the side tubes just above the floor on both sides. This would allow me to have all of my gear on the floor and tie between the d-rings to hold everything in place. My concern is that as I tighten up the rope the gear will be forced down onto the floor which will pull the side tubes inwards and deform the hull.

Has anyone had any experience with this? Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I have tried to add a picture but not sure if it has worked.

Cheers,
Chris

See less See more
#3 ·
The wooden seat and inflated floor seem perform the function of a thwart in this case. I'm not sure how they will go with the extra load though. I could have a sheet of plywood tied between the two proposed d-rings to hold everything in shape though.

The other thing I had thought of is whether this particular load case is any different to having a 70kg person in this location. Obviously the majority of their weight would be on the seat but I would guess about 20% of their weight would be on the floor through their knees.

#4 ·
I think if you do what you have drawn and put much tension on the rope or strap that you will deform the floor downward quite a bit and your gear won't be very secure.

You dry bags are the same diameter as the thickness of the floor? Maybe use a cargo net over the load secured to the chicken line? Or a large gear bag secured to the tubes?

The Clarence looks like a fun river. I hope to do it someday.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.