Old 06-19-2014   #31
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
NSR has a new style flip seat bracket that might have more flexibility and adjustment. If your not willing to change the seat you must change the cooler.

I had a similar problem finding a cooler to fit under the seat of my drift boat.
I desperation sliced a section out of a styrofoam cooler and glued it back together, reducing the height by 2". I added some rope handles and covered the thing with duct tape. I had only intended to use it for one short trip, yet 3 years later it is still going strong. The duct tape has needed occasion replenishing. But I am amazed at the durability. I started with one of those heavy duty foam coolers that they use to ship frozen steaks, 2" thick.

kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2014   #32
salmon, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2004
I just built this... I had everything already so cost me nothing... Cheaper than getting a new cooler.. building a dry box seat mount

codycleve is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014   #33
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
There are lots of good options here... but my first idea was to splice in a new piece of aluminum on the seat bracket to make it wider (front to back). you can cut AL with any carbide tool, (skill saw,etc.) so cut it in half then get another piece from a metal supplier and drill and bolt it together so that it fits. if you think ahead you could probably even use the seat bolts to hold it together... This idea may work and would be my first choice if the seat will drop all the way down, but that appears to be close (you may have to lower cooler by an inch or so).

You could also just cut off the back "leg" and allow the bracket to set on the cooler.

As far as codycleves suggestion, that's what I've done for years. It works great but there are a few drawbacks... you can't row without the cooler/drybox/whatever. That's the beauty of those brackets, nothing else is needed for support. You can ditch the large cooler for a small one on day trips to save weight and not change any set ups. The other issue with seats on plywood is that they can get left on rocks at the take do I know you ask? Just left my brand new seat on the Grand Rhonde on thursday. Didn't realize it until I was 200 miles away If it's bolted to the boat it's harder to leave behind...
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2014   #34
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by PBR62 View Post
? Cooler is on floor and 3 inches away
Now this is making more sense, I recalled this reading cooler is 3 inches off floor when I wrote my note above... It's hard to tell from the pick what exactly the problem is... is the front of the bracket hitting the cooler or is the back resting on the hinge and unable to drop down. From the pic it looks to me if the half pipe would pass the hinge that the bracket would go all the way down, hence make it a little longer as I suggested above. If the front is hitting and therefore the bracket too low for the cooler your solutions are less plentiful regarding keeping the bracket. You could splice in pieces (front and back) in the same manner as above to give you more height, but that would probably screw up oar geometry and/or lock height.

how much room do you have in the back? could you move the rowers postion back a little and squeeze the cooler behind the front seats and infront of the foot bar?
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014   #35
Boston Mountains, Arkansas
Paddling Since: 2002
Thanks for all the input. We will make it work with two 124 qt coolers, 2 54's, and one 64 qt Pellican. Small group, 4 days, all dinners pre-cooked and frozen

If I get to go on another multi-day, will find a big cooler that will fit.
PBR62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014   #36
Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1969
That's more cooler space than many GC trips run...
B4otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014   #37
Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
B4otter - I think he was enumerating ALL of the coolers for the trip on all of the boats combined. Yes, for the ratio of the coolers to the number of days that may be bigger than most Grand trips but not for a 18-25 day grand trip.
"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
Read_N_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014   #38
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
mount your seat to a piece of ply wood (of course you'd want to seal the plywood) then strap the plywood/seat to the cooler and row from the cooler. That's how I dealt with the same problem with the same cooler. I carry a little soft sided cooler, and a drag bag to deal with drinks and whatnot during the day. Don't touch the cooler until we're @ camp. And since I'm the guy without the Yeti I'm usually the first cooler to be emptied.

PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote