Old 08-21-2014   #1
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010

Can any one out there in whitewater world recommend some good reading material available for a greenhorn rafter, who wants to expand their knowledge and expertise on boating. Any thoughts on guide schools (around colorado) would help also. Not so much wanting to guide commercially, just expand my horizons in a safer manner. THANKYOU!!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #2
Westminster, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
If you can get your hands on a copy of "Western Whitewater" (Cassady, Cross, Calhoun)
or "The Floater's Guide to Colorado" (Wheat, Doug) or "River Running" (Huser, Verne), that will give you a book understanding of river terms, locations, etc.

Highly recommend "The Emerald Mile" by Kevin Fedarko...if you can't put it down, you are hooked...welcome to the river community.

"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans"
2tomcat2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2014   #3
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2013
lots of rafting outfitters charge to train and you can always just pay them their fee and be trained. I live up by Mile Hi rafting on clear creek and i think theirs is $500 and its a week on the Arkansas camping out.
Haggardphunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014   #4
God Amongst Men
Phuoc My, Da Nang, THE 'NAM
Paddling Since: 1845
The Floater's Guide is a great book. The "Kayak" series by Nealy is out of hand funny but also very informative and illustrated about river hydrology as much as kayaking. I always liked Whitewater!, but google "whitewater" or "rafting" into Amazon and you'll find a bunch. As always, the New Testament should be the first book you own.

Also, many river companies offer a training program during the early season; many of those guides later work out a plan to pay back the cost of the course but i think if you have money and are willing to play then they will let anyone take it. fly guides often do a guide training with some company and then open their own private fly guide tours company. money talks.
"Don't f$&@ing eddy out, just run it! Whaddya doin??" -LMyers
yetigonecrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014   #6
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
These are some I really like.

Anything Worth Doing by outdoor writer Jo Deurbrouck: A true story of adventure & tragedy

Halfway to Halfway & Other River Stories: Bob Volpert, Dick Linford, Mike Burke, John Cassidy, Brian Chaffin, Rick Claussen, Steve Cutright, Joe Daly, Stephanie Ellis, Jerry Hughes, John Hunt, Mark Palmer, Mary Papale, Erin Ridle, Dan Steiner, Will V

I have extra copies of the above brand new if anyone is ordering. I am not very good at Amazon apparently. /spam.

Innocent on the Middle Fork: Eliot Dubois: 9780898861259: Books

The May and June issues of Mountain Gazette usually have some great stories. I only found this one online. Nothing past 2012 and only select issues in Flashback.
May 2012

Being a hard copy reader I am still adjusting to online stuff but this search proved productive and I found a couple I haven't read.

Search Results - Mountain Gazette
carvedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014   #7
Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Also if you go to the NRS website there is a TON of information under their learn tab. Learn at NRS
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. KARL MARX
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014   #8
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
Whether or not you're getting into this for the fishing, this book has a lot of good info on rowing rivers... Float-Fishing Strategies: Tactics and Techniques for Drift Boats, Rafts, and Pontoon Boats by Neale Streeks

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Mountain Buzz mobile app
dafewillis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014   #9
Montrose, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
The Guide's Guide by William McGinnis- not sure if its still in print these days.

Lots of great tips on everything from running rapids to dutch oven recipes.
dgoods is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2014   #10
Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
I'm chasing whitewater. And would like to learn how to do that more safely and effectively. Thanks for the info thus far! Keep it coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz

Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote