Mountain Buzz banner

Lite propane cylinder recall

22K views 63 replies 31 participants last post by  Down River Equipment 
#1 ·
#4 ·
I just got one refilled two days ago. Sonofabitch. Hopefully not lite cylinder or subject to the recall

Do we get compensated if they destroy our cylinder

#5 ·
From what I can tell its all lite cylinders. So me and my two buddies who own these are SOL? Almost certain the company is headed out of business. I hope the management gets lined up an fucking shot!!!

I have all my camp appliances run off of the cylinders now. Stove, burner, etc. WTF? Plus now have to replace my tank with a heavier one

#13 ·
I just got my lite 20 pounder refilled.

I think I got mine from Cascade Outfitters

Based on the info here I did a look up for Lite Company home page hoping to get information on what I need to do. message I got was site under construction.

anyone else have information on who we need to contact to see what to do

#15 ·
The video showing the state of the art manufacturing facility did it for me. Sold!!!

Ironically if you do a search you can find some state of Massachusetts info from 2007 that casts doubt on their reliability

#20 ·
I guess it is time to take that off my wish list... Funny thing though, last summer I borrowed a buddy's tank and when I went to get it filled, the guy said he thought they had a recall. I searched back then and could not find anything. I guess it was a premonition.

#29 ·
Never received an email or letter from Lite Cylinder but here is one posted from another forum. Their response seems unreliable considering the weight of the allegations leveled at them in the recall.

May 30, 2013

Attention: All Retailers, Distributors and Users of Composite Cylinders manufactured by The Lite Cylinder Company,

Subject: Emergency Recall Order

The US Department of Transportation has issued an “Emergency Recall Order” for all LPG composite cylinders manufactured by The Lite Cylinder Company as per the following Emergency Order No. 2013-002. The recall notice specifically identifies those cylinders manufactured under DOT-SP 14562 (and DOT-SP 13957 as authorized therein), DOT-SP 13105, any cylinder re-qualified under H706, and any cylinders manufactured under M5729.

Lite Cylinder Company has submitted a Petition for Review with DOT seeking to amend several portions of this Recall Order. It is unknown as to when or to what extent, if any, portions of this recall may be modified. Until such time, users of this product are directed to immediately cease use of the cylinders identified in the recall.

All cylinder sizes are involved in this recall: 10#, 20#, 25# and 33#

Please note that the directive states “Under no circumstances should a cylinder described in this emergency recall order be filled, refilled, or used for the transportation of hazardous materials.” The cylinder’s identifying markings may be found on the label affixed to the dome of the cylinder.

To effectively comply with this recall, cylinder owners must:

1. Take proper safeguards in identifying and handling the affected cylinders identified in this order.

2. Cease use of all specified cylinders until notified of DOT response to Petition for Review.

3. Arrange to have all propane gas removed from cylinder. This should only be done by qualified persons, trained in handling cylinders in accordance with Federal regulations. (Note: All propane dispensing agents should meet this criteria.) This person must discharge all gas, purge, and remove the valve per the recall.

4. Return the empty, purged, valve-less cylinders, to the manufacturer, freight prepaid, at:

The Lite Cylinder Company
139 Southeast Parkway Court
Franklin, TN 37064

Please note that Lite has petitioned to amend Recall Order to allow specified cylinders to be field destroyed. We will promptly advise if Order is so amended.

While Lite is in sharp disagreement with the extraordinary and overwhelming harshness of this action, we will make every reasonable effort to comply. We clearly recognize there are associated financial implications as well as considerable inconvenience to our loyal and valued customers. Our team is currently trying to assess solutions to address these concerns and will communicate a response at the earliest possible date.

The Lite Cylinder Company

#31 ·
umm, looks like those of us who purchased these lite tanks several years ago and did not keep proof of purchase are screwed. I know I should keep receipts of every thing I buy, but rarely do. I sent a email to Cascade asking them if they kept a record on their computer of my purchase, no answer yet. Well, the Lite tank seemed to be a good light weight alternative to steel but maybe too good to be true. I do have several sizes of steel tanks, just hate to have to spend more money on the lite tank I have. We all might have been lucky not to have these bombs explode on us some where out in the wilds.

Chalk this purchase up to experience I guess.

#32 ·
I chatted with Uhaul using online chat. completely worthless. they sent me a link to their propane page which mentions nothing of the recall.

I'm thinking its going to be better for this company just to close than to try and service all their customers. Unless they had incredible margins on their product. So if you send in your tank, you are probably SOL except for some possible class action lawsuit. If you keep your tank, the propane places will not let you refill them.

So whatever you have in your tank, that's probably all the remaining use you will get out of them. wish I had purchased through NRS instead of uhaul. Saved $20 whippie!!

#33 ·
I did an online chat with Amazon.... I gave him all the great info the op posted... he is seeing ehat he can do... amazon was not aware... not sure if that's true as it was pulled from their site... amazon seems to usually find a way to make things right.. I will let you know ehat I find... glad my purchases are logged...

#34 ·
Cascade just sent me a reply which was a copy of a letter they just got from Lite.

To summarize, Lite said customers should purge the tank using an authorized facility, remove the valve and prepay the freight to send the purged tank back to Lite.

As I stated above, looks like Lite customers are screwed on this one. As far as the good folks at Amazon etc are concerned, I don't think UPS or anyone else will accept these tanks for shipment unless they are purged and you have some sort of official paper work. Any of you Buzzards out there with propane experience as to how we should dispose of the propane? I know the stuff is highly explosive and is heavier than air so if you vent to the outside, seems to me the propane would migrate down hill to a low spot and if a spark happens - big explosion!

#37 ·
It's not that dangerous. The issue is a small number have developed slow leaks. If you can sniff propane around the seam, its a candidate for immediate action. if not, hook it to your barbecue and use it in the next few weeks to make lots of brats.

Then take it to your propane place they can purge and remove the valve.

Ups should ship if the tank is empty and with no valve it's not dangerous.

What sucks is they want you to prepay freight before they destroy your tank

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.