Mountain Buzz banner

Lite propane cylinder recall

22K views 63 replies 31 participants last post by  Down River Equipment 
#1 ·
#40 ·
Most of these vendors have return policies that exclude instances like these. Like read the nrs rock solid guarantee. Lite cylinder is not a nrs product

#41 ·
I got mine from NRS and have yet to fill it up... They just gave me a refund (online credit) for the 10lb one I purchased last summer. I do think that they gave me the refund because I HAVE NOT FILLED IT YET and is still in brand new condition. Big props to NRS for sorting it for me couldn't have been happier!

#45 ·
I'll give Backcountry.com some more love. Even though I already returned it, they contacted me today letting me know I (and all of their customers) would get a full refund. They probably did a bit of research after they received mine.

Hello Skipowpow,
We’ve recently been made aware of a very important recall notice on a product you purchased from Backcountry: the Lite Cylinder Propane Tank.
The following is taken directly from the US Department of Transportation’s recall notice:
The Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safety Administration has issued an emergency order mandating a recall of cylinders manufactured by The Lite Cylinder Company, Inc. (Lite Cylinder). PHMSA also terminated the company's authority to re-qualify and manufacture DOT cylinders.
The emergency order was issued after a PHMSA investigation of Lite Cylinder of Franklin, Tennessee, revealed unsafe conditions and practices. The emergency order mandated more than 55,000 two-piece fully wrapped fiber composite cylinders be removed from service. These composite cylinders are commonly used as portable fuel tanks for liquefied petroleum gas (LPG).
In accordance with the emergency order, Lite Cylinder must immediately contact all cylinder owners and provide instructions about how to safely discharge, purge and remove the valve from the cylinder and how to safely return those cylinders to Lite Cylinder.
Cylinders manufactured by Lite Cylinder with any of the following markings are subject to this recall:
• DOT-SP 14562
• DOT-SP-13957
• DOT-SP 13105 (Only if manufactured by The Lite Cylinder Company. Cylinders manufactured by Composite Scandinavia [M0408] and marked with this number are not subject to the recall)
• Any cylinder requalified under requalification approval H706
• Any cylinder manufactured under M5729

Emergency orders are issued when PHMSA determines that the continued use of such an item would constitute an imminent hazard. Removal and recall of these composite cylinders is a serious safety matter that should be promptly addressed by cylinder owners, gas fillers, shippers and carriers of hazardous materials.
PHMSA's Hazardous Materials Information Center stands ready to assist anyone who has questions. The Info Center can be reached toll free at 800-467-4922.
More information can be found here:
PHMSA Orders Recall of Cylinders Manufactured by The Lite Cylinder Company
Lite Cylinder Final Recall Notice
Additional Guidance for PHMSA's Emergency Recall Order
This is a serious matter, and we highly recommend that you stop using this product immediately and contact Backcountry at 800-409-4502 for disposal instructions and a refund.
We suggest that you have these items emptied by a trained professional before disposing of them. Anyone qualified to fill the tank should be able to empty it and remove the valve. You may then proceed to dispose of the tank.
We’re happy to issue you a full refund for the tank; simply contact us and let us know you’ll be able to dispose of the tank properly. We will not be asking customers to send these products back to us.
If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to call us at 800-409-4502
For your records, your order number is 12345678.
— Backcountry

#50 ·
I'm really torn. I don't want to ask Down River Equipment, a small business, to cover my tank, but I have spend thousands of dollars there and they did sell me an inferior product made by an inferior company. Any thoughts fellow 'buzzards? Anyone else purchase their Lite Cylinder from DRE?

#57 ·
Sotar and Cascade store credit

Just in case this hasn't been covered...Cascade Outfitters in Boise is offering a 100% store credit for the Lite tanks. And the Sotar is offering a 50% store credit. My hats off to both these companies as I know it's a complete loss for them. I'll get one more use out of my 20 lb tank on the Grand and drop it off at the Sotar store.

#58 ·
Bought mine from NRS and they extended a 100% credit. Having worked in retail, I understand that a credit is not the same as a refund, since they'll make their markup (40-50%) on whatever items you apply the credit to.

Still, I think they've done the right thing.

Question: Have there been any actual Lite tank failures in use? Or did they get busted for their lax testing and documentation?

#59 ·
options

I love(d) my lite cylinder and got lots of buddies to get them too, DOH!

I have a 500 gallon propane tank that I am in the process of having a wet line installed on ($40 because my tank already had all the necessary plumbing) and then I will be able to fill my tanks at home. Maybe an option for others out there?

It is ludicrous to have to pay to ship your tank back just to have it destroyed and receive zero compensation. This whole fiasco appears to have been caused by Lite Cylinder company falsifying test data and short cutting testing protocol. They should be liable for this but they are clearly declaring bankruptcy to avoid their responsibilities. Gotta wonder how many millions of $$ the owners stashed away before these problems surfaced.

As a other posters pointed out, these don't fail catastrophically so if you keep an eye (and nose) on them they should still be fine for personal use, just my opinion of course.

#60 ·
As other posters pointed out, these don't fail catastrophically so if you keep an eye (and nose) on them they should still be fine for personal use, just my opinion of course.
Even so, it's not wise to stow one inside a vehicle (closed truck box, topper or van). If the recall notice went out to refillers of propane cylinders, you might not be able to get refills.

Besides using mine for river trips, I was using it on a backpack with a nozzle for burning brush. :shock:

#62 ·
my understanding is that all propane dealers have been notified that refilling these cylinders is illegal. there is apparently a very hefty fine for their doing it. that's why i wanted to get set up to do my own and my friends.
Do you not realize you would be subject to a very hefty fine for doing this? You think only propane dealers have to follow those pesky 'laws'?

#63 ·
Dunno

You might be right, i don't know what the law says about it. I do know that up until last year in our state it was totally legal to fill one's own propane bottles from a domestic tank, so there are many people around here who do that. Maybe you were just referring to refilling the fiberglass bottles? Anyway, if it turns out to be a problem, I'm only $40 and a worthless Lite Cylinder into it and I won't mess with it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.