Old 12-23-2015   #1
Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Lamiglas Oars. Anyone ever used them.

I consider myself to know the world of rafting gear pretty well. (much better than using the gear) and I'm ashamed to admit that I have never seen these before. Looks like they are a fairly new product and they look nice. Has anyone used them or know anything about them. I'm always excited for new competition and technology in the river world so if these are universal so that we can put any blades on them it will be fun the check them out.

Oars - Lamiglas Fishing Rods
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lamioars_1.jpg
Views:	411
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	10816  

ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015   #2
Great Falls, Montana
Actually after a closer look, I think they might be made by another company that we all know very well.

Old 12-23-2015   #3
On The River, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000

I'm pretty sure that Lamiglass makes their own oars. If you ask me they are a blatant copy of Cataract oars. The handles look a little different on the Lamiglas ones. I rowed a pair on the Main Salmon in August for a little bit, a friend from Montana had them. They are fine but I prefer my Cataracts. The Lamiglass are a composite oar but they aren't filament wound which is what gives the cataracts their strength to weight over any other composite. The Lamiglass look nice but I'll put my faith in the guys that have created the original and know rocket science. My $0.02
DoubleShadow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015   #4
Coastal, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1987
I have no use for the lammy oars, they are way too rigid and the blade connection was pretty sloppy in the set I tried. Although I don't see how people can use cataract magnum blades either, I Had a set sent to me to try. I ran a them painfully for the day and then gave them away to someone at the take out, they had a horrible feel. I get to try alot of oars and am pretty unbiased about the name on them , I go on feel. The whole oar thing really confuses me with people because it is pretty easy to tell which ones are good and which ones are crap feeling, most of what I see on peoples boats makes me wonder sometimes.

People must choose their oars on cost, I don't try and pinch pennies with my connection to the water because I don't want to risk my life over a couple hundred dollar difference in a situation where I need to make the moves to get down river in one piece. You can just get so much more finesse out of a good oar.
GreenWall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015   #5
Searching for water....., Nevada
I have 2 sets and love them. They are way stiffer than cataracts. I don't see how they are a copy of cataracts (but maybe sawyer), they use lamiglas's rod technology, in an oar.

There are many who like the flex of the cataracts and these oars would feel horrible for them. I like the rigid feel when rowing but they are not as forgiving. I feel I have more control and immediate response with the rigid shafts.

I think cataract and sawyer both make excellent oars and I would be happy to row them any day, but I will not be getting rid of my lamiglas sticks any time soon.
Pinned is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015   #6
Great Falls, Montana
So I gave Lamiglas a call yesterday. They are making their own oars. and they have a universal pattern for the blades. I would be interested in trying them with some sawyer blades so that the twist lock might tighten them up.

Maybe they copied other designs but I'm not sure how much. It's not like there is a huge variance in the shape of a shaft, especially if you are already a compost manufacturer. I'm surprised that they are stiffer than the others and I would have thought it would be a desirable trait. I guess it goes to show that we like what we are used to.

Anyway thanks everyone for your input