Old 11-23-2015   #1
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Knives, knives, knives

I've been considering changing the way I carry my knife for a couple years now. Baer's article
(Where Is Baer ?: Time for a new Personal Flotation Device?!) has almost convinced me that I just don't need a knife on the outside of my PFD, inside a pocket and quickly accessible are good enough for something I've never needed in a hurry - and could still get to in a hurry by simply opening a zipper.

Am I crazy? I've worn a bear claw on my chest for more than a decade and I am so sick of it popping out, snagging on things, and in general being contradictory to my "slick and simple" philosophy.

Even if I do keep the claw on the outside I'm trying to decide which folding knife to get for inside the Green Jacket (for those of you that followed Better Rescue PFD for Rafting, I've decided I'll probably sacrifice the extra flotation I was seeking for the over-the-head Green Jacket again. The 2016 prototype looks sweet:

I'm a gear geek and am not satisfied with the cheap knives NRS sells. I work as a river guide and have to untie enough knots that I want a locking Marlin Spike on it. I don't sharpen my knife, well, ever, so a serrated blade is probably a good choice.

Anyone have any ideas?

A few I'm considering:
TF300P: Gen 2, Titanium Captain Pro
Folding Boat Knives | Rigging & Safety Knife | Utility Blade
:: Spyderco ::

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015   #2
no tengo
Baytopia, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1876
for the best knives (and expensive) out there you should look at benchmade. something like this one might fit your criteria. Triage

mania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Can't speak to the quality, but this kind of design might fit the bill:

Gill Marine Tool Folding Knife | APS | Free Shipping
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
lmyers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015   #4
Glen Vegas, Florida
Paddling Since: 92
After I upgraded my green jacket went with the folding knife. Something with a locking blade and a little bit of spring, so you can pop it out with the thumb. You can pick up something on the clymb for not that much.
Pizzle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015   #5
C. Springs, Colorado
Originally Posted by lmyers View Post
Can't speak to the quality, but this kind of design might fit the bill:

Gill Marine Tool Folding Knife | APS | Free Shipping
The ultimate knife would be one that floats, but has the same design as the one lmyers posted above. Float or not.....I just ordered one. Thanks for the link lmyers
caverdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015   #6
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I carry one of these in a zippered pocket. : Spyderco Assist I Black Handle Rescue Knife : Hunting Folding Knives : Sports & Outdoors

AND a bear claw on the outside.
duct tape is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015   #7
NRS Captain Rescue Knife at

I use these. After having a knife on the outside of my best for years I made the switch to avoid getting it caught on my chicken line when getting back in the boat.
oarboatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015   #8
Westfield, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
simple stainless steel blade folding knife, partly serrated, stored in zipper pocket....perfect for designed use and more secure.

For years as a commercial guide we were required to have the knife with a quick release tab, on the outside of the jacket. For us in the New England States, 2015 was the first year we could legally get by not having the knife on the outside of our jacket. A knife and whistle are required on the person, and may now be in a Pfd, paddle jacket or pants pocket.

I have heard stories about being able to " quickly" access a knife to cut rope, or cut off your life jacket if snagged, or stab through a pinned raft....but yeah this is not a knife fight in the hood...3 seconds longer to unzip and flip, better than reaching for a knife that fell out of the quick release two drops earlier.

I will still keep my river shorty on the outside till I lose it. My current river shorty has lasted 7 seasons with an elastic hair tie for extra security on the outside of my jacket. My back up knife is resting in the junk drawer until it is called into service.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015   #9
Jackson, Wyoming
I've lost 3 bearclaws, but I still like their design so like tornado ravaged folk in the plains i'm just gonna re-build. I have a knife holster on the inside of my green jacket, and the knife mostly lives in there.I have a leftover knife holster from a lost bearclaw still attached to the outside. If I'm scouting, or setting safety, or Im about to do something that I think could result in the use of ropes, ill whip it out and stick it in the outside sheath. So far this has worked and i have kept this knife from swimming away.
Rendezvous River Sports is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015   #10
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Wow, great replies. Thanks everyone! I'll try to post what I end up with when I order it. I really want a super sharp, low maintenance knife with a marlin spike. The Boye knives look sweet, but I don't know how I feel about spending more than the PFD on the knife. ..

If anyone is having their Bear Claw pop out, the holster gets loose over time. A quick email to CRKT will get you a free replacement sheath.

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote