Closed Thread
Old 03-29-2015   #1
Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Keeping your word after giving it!

I recently called someone on a wanted ad because I had exactly what he was looking for at a VERY good price. He was excited at first, and COMMITTED to it (pending my accurate description of course). But then he informed me that he has a wholesale account and over the next week started complaining because my price (on a brand new boat/frame) was only about $400 below his wholesale account price (before shippin)(and he wanted to make sure I would share that too). I still could have had it to him in plenty of time for his trips (two months from now) and I was planning on driving it myself next weekend, but when I missed the first attempt this weekend he text-ed me that he wanted out of the deal (and how that would be much better for me too) and NRS has new lopro design that he likes better anyway. At that point I knew he would find something to complain about upon receipt, so I gave up.

Now in order to try to make this shipment happen I spent a shitload of money and time. I gave up visits with my friends and family on my existing trip and I did all of this because I'm desperate for the money and already committed the money when he committed to me, and I explained all of that at the time.

I hold myself responsible, do my homework, and have reasonable expectations. When I give my word, that's it, I keep it and I follow through even if that means I loose money or I don't get as good of a deal as I thought. In fact I have lost money or gotten a worse deal several times on ebay and craigslist because I consider my word to be worth more than any amount that I lose by breaking it.

Am I alone? This seems to be happening more and more these days. Am I a dying breed? (I'm just talking about my honor here) or are there others like that here?

Old 03-29-2015   #2
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Someone said "I give you my word: I'm buying your raft." Then contacted me to say his wife (yeah blame it on her!) found a raft for less money, so he could only buy my raft if I matched the other price.
Yeah, it ticked me off a bit, but I think it goes along with selling stuff yourself.
In hindsight, I'm actually glad I had this good reason to stop dealing with this person -- who knows what other crap would have come up?

Old 03-29-2015   #3
Buena Vista, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
I've been down that road. Keep looking at other customers until you have a signed bill of sale or money in hand. He has every right to back out of a verbal agreement. Get documentation signed, even if its via email.
GARNA’s mission is to foster stewardship of the resources of the greater Arkansas River region through education, volunteerism and experiences.
Old 03-29-2015   #4
BZN, Montana
Paddling Since: 2008
That's great your word is worth something. Not everyones is. When dealing with randoms on over the internet assume theirs is not. Lesson learned.
The sunshine walked beside her
Old 03-30-2015   #5
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by glenn View Post
That's great your word is worth something. Not everyones is. When dealing with randoms on over the internet assume theirs is not. Lesson learned.
What Glenn says, I don't trust any of you people…..
Old 03-30-2015   #6
pnw, Washington
Its sold when you have the money in your hand. Till then, its just talk.
Old 03-30-2015   #7
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
Doing the things you say you are going to do is what divides the adults from the children.

I've had several deals fall through but I've also had several go flawlwssly.

Nothing is sold until the money is in hand. I don't 'hold' stuff for anyone. The first person to deliver money wins. Ask a rasonable price and people will be competing to buy your stuff.
Old 03-30-2015   #8
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Originally Posted by racerx View Post
Its sold when you have the money in your hand. Till then, its just talk.
It's a bummer but this seems to be the rule when dealing with anyone you make contact with on the interwebs. If it's someone I know personally, then I'll hold it until it's convenient to do the deal. I've held CL stuff for someone who never showed up, so the first person to show up gets it. If several have expressed interest, tell them so and that the first one there with $$ gets the item. If they really want it, they'll be motivated to get there.

If someone starts complaining about the price and how they can get it cheaper of for just a little more somewhere else, then I'd wish them well and tell them to go for it. Then you'll find out if they're just BSing you to drop the price.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Old 03-30-2015   #9
Kayak/SUP Instructor
The High Ground, Colorado
I drove from Colorado Springs to BV because I was picking up a paddle from someone on MB who said it was mine to have for the agreed price.

We spoke the day before and arranged a time and place to meet. I get 10 minutes out of BV and I call to tell him I'm 10 minutes out and 10 minutes early and he tells me he sold the paddle to someone else.
"Let us cross the river to the other side and rest beneath the shade of the trees." ~ Last words of Thomas Jonathan ''Stonewall' Jackson
Old 03-30-2015   #10
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Sorry you had a bad experience. I just wanted to chime in and say that I've sold and bought dozens of items on the 'buzz swap from $5 to thousands and I've generally had good experiences with the members of this community.

Craigslist is something else entirely. I use a Google phone number and meet them in a public place. Sometimes people don't show, sometimes they have the gall to haggle once I'm there in person, and sometimes the deal goes great. I don't give them my real number or address, however. You never know when someone might think returns are accepted. ..

Closed Thread