Closed Thread
Old 04-01-2015   #21
Dipshit with the most.
Bellevue, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
OK nothing else to see here. An internet car crash. Both cars totaled and everyone walked away.

ob1-I've never seen anything you posted that struck me as off. Your first post on this I thought "this guy is itching to out someone". I get that things didn't go as planned and it may be horrible timing but I am trying to understand some things.

You work a long ways away. You listed for sale some stuff that is scattered all over Mt. But didn't have /couldn't provide photos or documentation or anything to show a little legitimacy. Somehow it is someone else's fault that you had to take time to gather the gear together and be ready to sell it and offer to deliver it but that didn't work out so the cost of that isn't yours……

I just can't read through this again as I tried to understand what the hell happened. The frame thing which you owned up to alone would have been a deal breaker.

And all the name calling. Really? I don't have a horse in this race and I honestly don't care but you did yourself no favors there.

Just that things are no big deal to you doesn't mean that isn't a red flag to someone else.
Title not in your name: that would kill the deal for me too.
That may seem like 'nothing' to you but in the real world there are thieves and sketchy people and folks have been taken advantage of.

Not smearing anyone just calling it like I see it - as objectively as possible.

It seems like you have already made up your mind on this but you need to try to look at from the guy who is bringing a chunk of cash to a transaction and what he knows about you?

Seriously. I trust about 10 people in the world.

In other news. A local businessman here in the Valley that I had known for 20 years and was very friendly with socially, pitched me an idea to take over. I ran with it. It was looking successful so he changed the deal ( we were both still developing contracts). I made that work so he changed it again so i couldn't make any money.

I walked away and he got 100% of nothing as he didn't have the skill set to make it work. It cost me $4k. Cheapest lesson ever on how not to trust people. Pretty much ever.
I secretly hated this man for what he did. I never bad mouthed him in public. The next year he got brain cancer and died.

So I try not to hate anyone now. I don't like what he did to me but I don't think he deserved brain cancer over it. Not that it is connected. or is it.

Old 04-01-2015   #22
Belgrade, Montana
as for my stance on the subject,

I've had good deals and I've had bad deals but I'm inherently trusting, even when I know I shouldn't be. It's just something I deal with. We all live and learn. As for selling stuff, first contact has the first chance, then on down the list. If it's priced right you'll get responses and generate a list, if it's high you won't. It's really tough to price stuff because it's value is dependent on each buyer. There may be somebody out there that really wants it and there may not.

Ebay, craiglist, etc. all used to be places to get good deals. Now people sell used shit for new prices on ebay and get it, sometimes more! I was watching a semi-hard to find reloading die last year and 3 in a row sold for more than new...and it wasn't that hard to find, the local store had one on the shelf, I was just hoping to pick one up for half price...It's ridiculous. It's hard to find good deals any more, the interwebs have evened the playing field, and maybe even skewed it to the folks that have time to relist until they find their buyer.

Selling things like rafts, especially wave destroyer tubes can get tougher due to the small market. And as OB1 found out there are a lot of folks that get discounts, hell I can get wholesale at NRS and I haven't worked on the river in a decade. That further complicates pricing and minimizes your pool of potential buyers.

Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
Old 04-01-2015   #23
Belgrade, Montana
My thought for the day: Somewhere in time somebody said "It's a dog eat dog world out there and I feel like I'm wearing milk bone underwear." Never truer than now I guess.
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
Old 04-01-2015   #24
Gardnerville, Nevada
I am the cynic.

I don't believe that ALL people are cheats and liars, but then again, not ALL people are currently trying to buy/sell on places like craigslist. But from that pool of people, those currently involved in buying/selling, 80% are cheats and liars. Like 2kanzam's philosophy a few posts ago, once you accept that and learn to deal with it, things become easier.

-Even if my item is priced below market value (as evidence by the dozen calls I've gotten in the first few hours), the buyer WILL try to talk the price down. It's human nature.

-When the seller says "just a $20 part to get it running", it's usually much more. In fact, not usually. ALWAYS.

-At least 75% of "I've got the cash in hand, hold it for me" deals fall through, ESPECIALLY those offers that are "I will buy it, I just have to sell my _____ first". Now, I don't hold anything.

-If somebody says "I'll trade you _____, it's worth _____", that item is worth 75% of that value at best, usually closer to 50%.
Old 04-01-2015   #25
Wheat Ridge, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
OK folks, this thread's run its course, not much to be gained from here on out. A few posts have been removed due to someone calling another out by name, and then a couple more posts referring to the deleted posts removed. This internet train wreck is done, this thread is closed. This tempest in a teapot is over. It was entertaining, kind of like this:

Please don't continue to post on this topic, let it go.

Nothing in the world is more yielding and gentle than water. Yet it has no equal for conquering the resistant and tough. The flexible can overcome the unbending; the soft can overcome the hard. - Lao Tse
Closed Thread