ISO Folding Charcoal Chimney by Sandbar Mfg. - Mountain Buzz

Old 07-29-2016   #1

North Creek, New York
Paddling Since: 1997
ISO Folding Charcoal Chimney by Sandbar Mfg.

I have one collapsible charcoal chimney that I bought from NRS made by Sandbar. Looking for another, but NRS no longer sells them and it seems Sandbar went out of business.

Anyone know a source for collapsible charcoal chimneys? Prefer stainless steel.

Thanks-
-Nate

natepelton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016   #2

north little rock, Arkansas
Last time I was at Tuff River Stuff he had a couple. That was last winter so they may be gone, but it's worth a call. It's really a shame Sandbar shut down. Steve was a fine gentleman and those Flatfires are the cats.
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016   #3

Commerce/the Junc, Colorado
Amazon has two similar folding options.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
SigNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016   #4

Bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1992
For a DIY option, just use a large coffee can (think Folgers) with both ends opened. Use one of those little juice can openers to cut a series of triangular holes around the bottom for ventilation. It folds flat and opens right back up to a square profile to be filled with briquettes. I've been using the same one for 5 years or more. Works fine and the cost is hard to beat. You can see it sitting off to the side of the DO stack, its work already having been done. I've cut a few more ventilation openings in it since this picture was taken.

I wish I was clever enough to have thought this up myself.

Bonus points for anyone who can recognize the camp....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	chimney.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	2.16 MB
ID:	12042  
Old 07-29-2016   #5

lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I have a sandbar, packs so nicely. Hey okieboater, do you know why your friend quit making them?
Old 07-29-2016   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorn1478@msn.com View Post
I have a sandbar, packs so nicely. Hey okieboater, do you know why your friend quit making them?
Might you be confusing me with okieboater? If so it's an honor. He's a friend and another fine gentleman, but I didn't know Steve especially well. We shared a few campfires, brews and DO breakfasts and he was always up for helping out my paddling club with silent auction prizes, sponsorships and such. When I learned he was calling it quits I called to say thanks and wish him the best but never heard back from him.
Old 07-29-2016   #7

lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
Quote:
Originally Posted by lncoop View Post
Might you be confusing me with okieboater? If so it's an honor. He's a friend and another fine gentleman, but I didn't know Steve especially well. We shared a few campfires, brews and DO breakfasts and he was always up for helping out my paddling club with silent auction prizes, sponsorships and such. When I learned he was calling it quits I called to say thanks and wish him the best but never heard back from him.
Not confused, Dave knew him also. Told me about Steve when he saw me get out my sandbar on a trip.

Found this on amazon, not as nice but boy is it cheap. Might be a reason Steve quit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DO3J51O...X5GFVTKSJDWAK6
Old 07-29-2016   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighorn1478@msn.com View Post
Not confused, Dave knew him also. Told me about Steve when he saw me get out my sandbar on a trip.

Found this on amazon, not as nice but boy is it cheap. Might be a reason Steve quit.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DO3J51O...X5GFVTKSJDWAK6
Roger that. I think Dave knew him much better than I.
Old 07-29-2016   #9

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
I heard his shop burned down.
merritrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2016   #10

Jenks, Oklahoma
When I first met Steve, he was having some hard times. But he was a hoot to boat and hang out with. Steve was/is a highly skilled machinest at one of the many aircraft manufacturing companies in Wichita. If memory correct Steve had some leg issues from standing at various machines all day and was not working. He needed some income and this is the story of Sand Bar Manufacturing.

Steve got interested in rafting and turned into a very competent boater.

We were on a float trip and I was using a commercial charcoal starter for my dutch oven. At the time I had a 14 ft Aire with a Tuff River Stuff bag on the back. I would hang the big chimney off that bag. Steve asked me one night around a camp fire what I wanted in a charcoal starter. One I said was it would fold up and two it would be made from stainless steel. A few weeks later UPS left me a first prototype flatfire. I had a Dutch Oven Gathering AKA DOG coming up and we used that model to start charcoal for probably 20 or more cookers. I still have that prototype and use it. The only suggestions we had was to make the handle more heat resistant. Steve then sent me the model with a wooden handle and the rest is history.

Steve asked for more items. I mentioned the fact that my fire pan was way too heavy in my opinion. After a while Steve turned out a Stainless steel fire pan and shortly after that a grill. I had Jan at Stitches N Stuff make me a bag and that is my favorite fire pan unless the group is really large in numbers.

Steve also looked at my Partner Steel hand washing system. It was a quality design he said, but he thought he could design something a bit more compact. He did and I have two of his hand washing systems that I use.

Steve was turning these products out in his garage shop. All hand made, machined to aircraft standards and mostly stainless steel. His stuff is well thought out, compact and will last most of us a life time and beyond. It is worth the extra money to me for quality camp items like Partner Steel turns out and Steve made. But lets face it, the average rafter is looking for the lowest price they can find. I knew from my retail experience that it was going to be difficult for Steve to make a reasonable profit. But, being the man he is, Steve kept going for quite a while. Last I heard from him he sold his custom made raft setup. Just a beauty of a hand made frame, oars and other parts including custom made straps he made. I think Steve went back into the aircraft industry full time. But he totally dropped out of the rafting scene. I have not heard from him for a couple years.

I think those of us that acquired gear made by Steve are very lucky to have items that are precision made of materials that are aircraft quality. I know I will be passing my charcoal starters, fire pans and hand wash units down to Grand kids and expect it to work like a charm. Steve was a heck of a fine rafter and I do miss seeing him on the river.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote