Old 05-24-2016   #21
Meridian, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1998
Originally Posted by Dr.AndyDVM View Post
Thanks for the replies. It's a custom order, but I just okayed the dimensions they gave me. I don't know if I can return it. Should I take it back or keep it?

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Take it back. They should take care of you. Worst case is they say no and you sell it and get one an inch shorter.

If that was a Cambridge box, you could call Cy directly and he would treat you right.

Remember that these (rafts) are all built by hand. Although they have jigs and templates, a Zephyr built on tuesday could be a half inch wider than one built on wednesday.

brasscap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016   #22
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by Dr.AndyDVM View Post
Just took delivery of a 44" custom dry box. It looks pretty tight. Too tight?
Attachment 11569Attachment 11570

How much room is under the box? I mean looking at the pic my primary concern would be all the wasted space below the box. It also looks like the tabs are way below the lid - how far does it stick up above the frame? That seems really strange. The amount it's touching on the sides is a non issue in my mind, but it really doesn't look right height wise from the pics you've just looks like the tabs are welded 2-3" high from my perspective. It's really hard saying not seeing the whole thing nor checking it out with a load. But as I said before, I'd be fine with the width, I'd rather have it that way then loose and sloppy. He'll I'd be fine if it were an inch wider, but I'm obviously strange as I like my boxes nice and tight.

Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016   #23
Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
This took a surprise twist this morning. I got a call from Reneé at Cascade River Gear. She wanted to let me know that they had been reading this post on the Buzz. She said they wanted to make sure I was happy with the box and that they would exchange it if I wanted to. Wow! That's a new level of customer service. That is how you make people customers for life.

On a new note, maybe I should change my username to something more anonymous?

Anyway, following her advice I pumped the tubes up to 2 -2.5 PSI from the 1 PSI that I leave it when on my trailer. She thought that might help take some of the sag out of the tube: No change.

To answer your questions, the box sits 5" above the bars. That's about 2 inches higher than my old Cambridge boxes. I won't know how much higher above the floor until I float it. I am still new to this and maybe there is a compelling reason to have the box sit lower that I don't know about. This doesn't really bother me too much. Two years ago my wife got her foot trapped under a dry box and it almost broke her foot. Extra room below the box might be an added safety bonus for me despite the wasted space. To me the issue is the pointy corner of the box digging into the side of the tube. If the corner cleared the arc of the tube it, I agree it would be a non issue. Then it would just be the tube rubbing against the flat side of a box instead of a pointy corner. Maybe the tab position is biting me in the butt. My understanding is 5" is Mad Cows standard tab height.

Floating the raft might help. The weight of the frame, etc. could be distorting the shape of the tube while resting on the trailer. Floating it might cause the tubes to be "rounder" once the weight of the raft and frame are removed by the buoyancy of the water. If the problem resolved when in the water that would be great. But, it doesn't fix the trailer issue of grit wearing a hole when traveling. I really like not having to rig and derig the boat when doing day trips.

I think I'm going to try to float it this weekend and see what happens.

At any rate, it's nice to know Cascade's got my back.

Dr.AndyDVM is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016   #24
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Dr. Not-So-Anonymous,

That's great news on the contact. I'm sure you'll get it just right (what ever that means for you). I just like having all my stuff as low as possible, lower center of gravity, lower wind profile, better use of space, etc. To each his own for sure and I understand about pinning a leg, that would suck, but that's not a problem I have nor am likely to have with my set up. There is nothing wrong with the set up you have really, there is hardly any pressure on the side of the box from the looks of things. I don't think it will wear on the road or on the river but if you're worried, trade on a box that's 2" narrower - do what makes you feel the most comfortable.

I've trailered all my boats for tens of thousands of miles, many gravel miles with tight fitting boxes, coolers, floors and the like. The only wear I've had a problem with was between the roller and the rubber. My guess is that was do to the roller rotating while on the road but I don't know for sure.

Don't forget to enjoy the boat! Rigging is only part of the fun
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016   #25
Rivertown, West Virginia
Paddling Since: 9:45
Silly Cascade, did you all not learn anything this winter from the best frame builder in the world . You should have just told Dr Andy that he was not doing it correctly and that it was his mistake and to shove off. How can you expect to build customer relations when you give in to the customer and actually build what they want.

On a serious note I give Cascade props and will make it a point to do buy from them.
I am an American Whitewater member. One of 6300. There are an estimated 100000 paddlers in the U S. If you are not a member you should join. AW is fighting for our rivers everyday and could use some help.
curtis catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016   #26
Boise, Udaho
Paddling Since: 2012
Nice job Cascade

Really nice to see such great customer service. Nice work Cascade.
Anchor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016   #27
Top Quality River Gear
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1960
Thanks for the kind words all!!

We will make it work Andy, let me know once you get her out on the water and if you are still questioning the set up we will take that box back and swap it out for a Cambridge. It is true that the Mad Cows sit higher in than most other boxes. We really appreciate your business and have loved getting you in your new boat and helping you get everything just right!

As a quick reply to TrevH, I am so sorry that you have had less than stellar experiences with my crew here at Cascade River Gear, we rarely hear that coming out of our customers mouths and it is disturbing so please give me a call so I can speak with you about the experiences you have had I am the General Manager, my name is Renee and I can be reached at 800.223.7238. We have a wealth of knowledge here regarding frames and accessories and if one of my team doesn’t know the answers they find them. Our customer service, in my opinion, is above and beyond we are all river riders ourselves and we’re passionate about taking care of our river family aka. our customers. If it sounds like a bar when you call it's because the shop is full and people are having fun, we really do have a great time here.

All of that being said, we searched for you in our system and could not find any record of you ordering from us in the past? Hmmmm strange!

Keep it Right Side Up,

Cascade River Gear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016   #28
East of the Pine beatle, Colorado
Andy- keep in mind when you float it, the heavier you load the boat, the more the floor will rise toward the bottom of that drybox- particularly along the rear edge. Just have a bunch of folks sit on your tubes to simulate a full multiday trip- then take your measurement.

Kudos to Cascade customer service- glad I bought my Zephyr from a stand up company.

Sent from my SM-N900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Osseous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016   #29
Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I'm impressed but not surprised that Cascade stepped in to offer help. They seem like really good people.

I'd get it on the water before making any decisions.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2016   #30
billings, Montana
Paddling Since: Tues
Send a message via Yahoo to mttodd
This is how good companies operate, and why we should support them.

mttodd is offline   Reply With Quote