Old 11-03-2013   #11
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
It looks like it might be a good fishing platform, maybe even ok for solo day runs in whitewater, but multi-day with gear and a passenger might be hard??? No cross bars means nothing to strap stuff to. Those seats are really different. Kind of high? Definitely a different direction in frame design.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2013   #12
Fresno, California
Paddling Since: 1979
Originally Posted by lhowemt View Post
Yeah, ask them wth is a passenger going to hold onto with no cross bar? Where does the pass brace their feet? And the rower? Lochsa, give me a break, the frame looks hokey to me.

The tubes might be worth looking into, but that frame is useless. Do they sell the tubes alone?

JustKip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #13
bend, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
emailed with them this morning ,sending me some info,fabric samples and price sheet out today, they are offering 4 sizes, 10'x18" ,13"x20",15'x25" and 18"x25" he doesn't live to far away so I might have it all in my mailbox by tomorrow and let you all know what I find out
mtrafter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #14
Denver, Colorado
I spoke to Maynerd, the owner/builder, it all seems pretty well engineered.

Website is in the works

Frames issues still abound but he did mention that eeverything is supported by a central lengthwise bar (s) and foot brace brackets can be installed from it. Also allowing you to adjust seats for and aft.
k2andcannoli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #15
Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1975
sweet. it has the same "class V rating" as a scadden boat.
upshitscreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2013   #16
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
Originally Posted by k2andcannoli View Post
Maynerd, the owner/builder
That is too good to be true.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #17
Asotin, Washington
Thanks every one for your comments!

First, as the title says, I really appreciate your comments/criticism/encouragement.

My boats are NOT imported - I fabricate the tubes and frames myself.

And you're right - where did this guy come from?

I am a retired Boeing aerospace/mechanical engineer -about 20 yrs with that company, and a few more in private consulting. Learned how to run machine tools in the Navy, and have also have a background in fabricating. I know that alone does not make me an expert in boat design.

I became interested in whitewater rafting in 2000/2001, and decided to learn, as best I could, how to build Cats. It's taken me over ten years of design, iteration, re-design, iteration, etc and A LOT of wasted material to arrive at production-level boats.

I produce/sell no conventional rafts, dry-bags, apparel. I focus on cataraft tubes and frames only.

An Aire rip-off? No more than a Ford is a Chevy rip-off, of an Airbus is a Boeing rip-off.
We all (designers/manufacturers) stand on the shoulders of those that have come before us, make improvements, innovations and proceed.

I think that Aire makes fantastic boats, especially the bladder-shell design - elegant, simple, very safe due to double layers of PVC and urethane - and of course, dual chambers.

In feel my design does improve on the approach by enclosing the zipper in full-length hook & loop, keeping sand/grit out, and helping to minimize the amount of water into the shell. I also use only Tenara Teflon thread, which lasts the life of the substrate material, and is UV, chemical resistant and has a high tensile strength, and have limited the rise to about 3 inches.

My bladders are a segmented, dual chamber design, made from 11-mil urethane.

Please note my ads did have a typo saying 3-mil. Sorry about that -they're 11 mil (oops).

I grew weary, early on, of stepping/stumbling over cross-bars, so I designed a frame with a central keel beam, supported with side struts. This allows a true walk-around deck design. The decks composed of cam-locked poly strapping, allowing deck stretch control, covered and sewn with a mesh to allow any water plunging over the bow to pass through - which a solid plywood or composite deck wouldn't allow.

The keel beam is drilled fore-and-aft to allow installation of foot-rests, cooler/dry-box tie-downs, and is used in conjunction with the lower side rails to secure any amount of gear on deck.

My boats have run the Lochsa, Salmon and Snake rivers. I've found them to be light, responsive and very maneuverable.

Early on, I wanted to build a safe, quality boat. It takes a whole lot of time to produce one, so the prices are commensurate with comparable craft - NRS, Aire, Maravia ect. I do, however, try to lower the cost as much as possible.

No one gave me tube patterns, taught me how to hot-air weld or to produce a safe, quality design. I learned just by doing it - spent five-figures on equipment and materials. Had to design and fabricate a digital rotary hot-air welder, and a host of other production/test items.

I have just recently begun marketing them, as it was too difficult to work a 40-hr week and run this company at the same time. Retirement gives the time I need.

Some rafters appreciate these designs, some don't. I, of course, think they're great, and am pleased with the results.

Thanks again for your comments,

SunSport Design & Mfg
Asotin, WA
SunSport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #18
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Hi M.Clark, welcome to the Buzz. It sounds like you have a thick skin - which is good for online forums! Do you have a website? It sounds like you are putting solid effort into your boats. I hope that they are high quality and you find a good market for them. If you dont have a website let me know - I can help.
raftus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #19
Antarctica, Alabama
Paddling Since: 1981

Thanks for coming into the buzz to talk about your product. Others have tried a more indirect, dishonest path. Props also for trying a different frame idea, and subjecting it to the opinions of self proclaimed Buzzard experts. I suppose that tying everything down to a frame, instead of resting on crossbars is a lot like the rigs I've seen on old Aire cougars. Anyway, good luck. Do you sell tubes separately?
klickitat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2013   #20
Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Cant seem to find any info. Where can I see them?

ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote

aire, cataraft