Old 09-22-2015   #41
Montrose, Colorado, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1988
While rowing long Outward Bound trips in Deso I used to just eat coffee beans raw with dark chocolate. Good buzz and they don't make you piss as much as the diuretic effect of drinking coffee. Great for long stretches of flat water with a head wind.

dgoods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2015   #42
Flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1998
Wow, what a lot of ranting and raving....the gist is if you can deal with instant,it saves time and hassle. If you are a coffee snobbish person, get good stuff to brew up every morning. ( Gevalia instant is not bad...)

Flagstaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015   #43
Pucón, Chile
Paddling Since: 1990
3 Coffee Socks for $7.99

I first learned of the coffee sock in Costa Rica where in cafes they'd bring out a little coffee sock stand with your mug underneath and a small kettle of steaming water. I loved the presentation and simplicity of my coffee brewing and dripping at the table. I bought a couple of coffee socks at the mercado for around $1.

In Chile where I operate 6 months per year I can buy coffee socks in the mercados but can't find them in stores here in the US (Fayetteville, WV). I brew my coffee daily with a coffee sock as it has less waste. For travelers the coffee sock takes up the space of a sock. I prefer it over a French Press for space reasons and less grinds.

A con of a coffee sock is that it is only good for so many cups before you have to dump the grinds. I can usually get about 4 mugs if I add a spoon or two or three to each pouring. So not great for lots of folks huddled around waiting on coffee.

I found 3 wooden handled coffee socks on Amazon for $7.99. They range from around $1 to $24. The coffee sock is a small piece of gear that is on all of my trips. You'll need something to boil water. And some way to hang your coffee sock over your mug.

Link to Wooden Handled Coffee Socks Amazon

Good luck.

Pucon Kayak Hostel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015   #44
Fort Fun, Colorado
Paddling Since: 94
Originally Posted by sleighr View Post
And that brick of compressed bacon bits I last saw in the 70s.....

Whatr you? Nuts? I stopped back packing and started rowing so I could eat a little better...

Course I've been with folk that think my antique dripper is a travesty as well....
Sorry, I don't have the sarcasm font….
trevko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015   #45
Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by sea hag View Post
...Coffee boiled is coffee spoiled...
Yesterday's gone on down the river and you can't get it back. - Agustus McCrae
elkhaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015   #46
Fort Collins, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1986
File and serve her for her blasphemy!
twmartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015   #47
Fruita, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2014
Originally Posted by Pucon Kayak Hostel View Post
I first learned of the coffee sock in Costa Rica where in cafes they'd bring out a little coffee sock stand with your mug underneath and a small kettle of steaming water. I loved the presentation and simplicity of my coffee brewing and dripping at the table. I bought a couple of coffee socks at the mercado for around $1.
When I lived in Honduras, we used the same system. I prefer it to a french press on the river, as it is quicker for me to clean, I can make a really stout cup of joe for myself, and one less so for my wife using the same system.

The thing to think about is the amount of time you are dealing with water contact for best extraction of your flavor. As coffee, in all reality, is just oily water (albeit the most delicious oily water ever invented...sorry Earl Gray), you have to make sure that your grind matches your intended brewing (or extraction) method. When using the sock, assuming the sock is tighly woven enough, a somewhat finer grind than flatbottom drip (and maybe slightly even more fine than cone a general rule) will yield the best results...YMMV

T.O.Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015   #48
Evereywhere, State of Bliss
Paddling Since: 2000
Originally Posted by Andy H. View Post
Get a good thermos (or 2) for instant hot drinks on the water without having to light a flame. If it's chilly I like to brew up a thermos of Roobios tea with honey and lots of half and half to help bring a chilled swimmer back, and if you don't use it, it'll be just fine later in the day. It'll get drunk some time during the day on a winter trip, believe me.

As for coffee, whatever floats your boat, from instant to cowboy to an espresso pot or aeropress, just make sure to bring plenty of half and half for it. In the winter it'll keep.

Have a great trip,

Great idea. I have one large thermos and intended on using it like you said.
tteton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015   #49
pocatello, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1991
The former mormon in me says if you want coffee bring it and brew it yourself. The variation in tastes, technique, equipment and volume is staggering. It is especially mind numbing from the outside. I don't mind the trip buying a bag of whatever and including gear in the kitchen but if your tastes require a certain grind or equipment or technique- bring what you like and take all the time and energy you need to get it right. If the group can agree on something fine. But in my groups there are usually a few coffee snobs, some that will drink anything warm, some tea people and some mormons who will only drink that stuff if no one is looking. Just bring your own stuff. Maybe a bit tricky on GC, but a good policy everywhere else.
fiya79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2015   #50
Bismarck, North Dakota
Paddling Since: 2012
Just bring a kureig and a generator.....problem solved

Remember what the door mouse said.......................feed your head.........feed your head ©®™
sammyphsyco is offline   Reply With Quote