Old 05-12-2015   #11
The Box, ~
Paddling Since: 1992
Originally Posted by Woodstockaz View Post
Makita USA - Tool Details - DUB182Z

Do you think this would have enough guts for the main fill on a big raft??
A friend uses that Makita and it fills 4-5 rafts on a fresh battery (18v). It will fill the rafts to shape, but won't build up PSI like some electric pumps.

I actually prefer using the Makita when it is around, compared to connecting to my truck battery terminal.

riverdoghenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015   #12
Renaissance Redneck
Huson, Montana
Paddling Since: 1988
Originally Posted by John_in_Loveland View Post
I use a Black and Decker battery leaf blower to inflate my 14. I taped a mustard bottle with the bottom cut off over the end to better match the valve size. I found that there isn't enough pressure to depress the valve springs but if you lock them open you can inflate the boat to a soft level. You just need to quickly close the valves when removing the blower. I just top off to rowing pressure with my barrel pump

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
40$ at walmart
Been using it for about 6 years
Also useful as a leaf blower

"You're gonna be doin a lot of doobie rolling when youre LIVIN IN A VAN DOWN BY THE RIVER"
LSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015   #13
Westfield, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
I really like the idea of an electric cordless pump....let us know how fast it pumps up the boats to shape..

Since 95% of the time I am near my vehicle when filling the raft, I use a power inverter ($30), and a small shop-vac in reverse ($25 on sale)... It fills up the raft faster than any 12volt pump out there...other boaters at the put-in always ask to borrow it for two minutes.....just make sure the vacuum/filter is clean..or remove it completely for raft filling.
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015   #14
Westfield, Massachusetts
Paddling Since: 1999
The shop-vac also helps with deflating for a nice tight roll.....also gets used around the house
FlyingDutchman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015   #15
Niwot, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2005
Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman View Post
The shop-vac also helps with deflating for a nice tight roll.....also gets used around the house
It should be noted that you should complete draw a vacuum when deflating your raft. At least according to AIRE. According them, doing this for storage puts undue stress on the material opposite the any valve since the vacuum would create direct contact between the two sides.

At least that's what they say.
"It's supposed to be hard. If it wasn't hard, everyone would do it. The hard... is what makes it great."
Read_N_Run is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015   #16
Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
I have this Black & Decker and it's filled multiple 16' cat tubes on one battery and I bring two. Sears Local Ad at CENTENNIAL, CO : Find Deals on all Holiday Gifts
Swank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015   #17
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974

I use one of these if I don't want to hook a blower up to the car. It will blow up my 16' and still keep going. I have to top it off and I have to open the valves.

Ryobi ONE+ 120 mph 18-Volt Lithium-Ion Cordless Hard Surface Blower/Sweeper - Battery and Charger Not Included-P2105 - The Home Depot
merritrd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015   #18
Denver, Colorado
Improvised Raft fill pump CORDLESS MAKITA?

This is what I use since I have a plethora of their batteries. Inflates and deflates with ease.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
skipowpow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015   #19
Paddling in to the Future
Boise, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I have a 1500 watt inverter mounted in my suburban with an electrial outlet mounted to the backside (end) of my receiver tube. I just use a small shopvac and can get my boat filled up to about 90% or so. I have to put about 4 or 5 strokes from a little NRS Wonder pump in each chamber to get it to operating pressure though.
PhilipJFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015   #20
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2011
I'm right there with FlyingDutchman. I've been using an inverter, $20 shop vac, and the universal adapter from Home Depot for years. It does a majority of the work plus you can suck all the air out for a nice tight roll.

RIDGID Universal Power Tool Adaptor-VT1407 - The Home Depot

thaGoat is offline   Reply With Quote