Old 12-06-2014   #11
Plunk your magic twanger!
New Castle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
I think what Okieboater is saying is don't overthink it. You are only selecting the FIRST boat of your fleet

Gremlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2014   #12
Jenks, Oklahoma
Well posted Gremlin

a lot less typing than I did

okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014   #13
Buffalo, New York
Paddling Since: 2003
I have had an Aire Tomcat solo for years. Bought it used from an ou titter for $400 and have taken it on trips as long as 6days/5 nights. Sit in my bills bag, run a small dirtbag up front, a rectangular plastic container for food behind and a 1.5 gal propane bomb in the way back. In bigger rapids I slide down in front of the bills bag and have thigh straps that live in there. It's a great boat for day trips too! For shorter overnights I've taken a less gear, backpacker style.
amv48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014   #14
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2001
You might find a used Bandit around. The first IKs in our fleet were a Bandit 1 and Bandit 2. They've been all over the place. The Bandit 2 will haul a lot of gear but is pretty damn long to maneuver in the technical stuff. The 1 still carries and is much more maneuverable. It is a bit sporty to the uninitiated.

Best about both is that they are super light and super slippery on the rocks. I think they both weigh in around 20lbs each. Hiking them is easy and they've held up well over the years.
jakebrown98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014   #15
Salida, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1990
I don't have any sage advice for you about choosing a boat, though it sounds like you've already gotten some great advice! I figured though that since your looking at an IK specifically for multi day trips, that I would toss it out there that we make IK specific rig bags that attach to your bow or stern (basically the IK version of our everything bag,) and thought you might be interested.
TuffRiverStuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2014   #16
Carbondale, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
that's a rad bag, ill def get one of those some day!!
GratefulOne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014   #17
Cave Creek, Arizona
I only have experience with Aire IK's, but they will last if you take care of them. I have Lynx 1 made in 1994, my dad has a Lynx 2 that he got new in 96 and a friend of ours has a Lynx 1 from the 80's. Not a single patch on mine or my dads boats. Not sure if our friend's has any patches, but it still gets river time.
InflatableSteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014   #18
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by GratefulOne View Post
that's a rad bag, ill def get one of those some day!!
+1. TRS makes the coolest shit.
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014   #19
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Since we're talking about bags, I have been using the waterproof Ortlieb bags with dry zippers (boat people sells them).
Ortlieb Travel-Zip Zippered Duffle Drybag
I used this one in the front of my IK for a Yampa trip last April -- worked great (even upside down!) -- not as much capacity as the TRS, but waterproof -- different use -- Boat People had them on sale at the time.

Used both the 50 liter and 30 liter on my cat on a November Lodore trip (the 50 for my night gear,tent+; the 30 for a dry day bag -- the zipper sure is handy, especially for a day bag, quick grab).
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2014   #20
Cottonwood, Arizona
Paddling Since: 2000
I've run a Tomcat for 8 years on a lot of multi day and day trips. I think they're a good boat for starting out and deciding if you like paddling, mainly because they are cheap. The drawbacks I've come to find is the PITA time you have cleaning the bladder chambers and getting the bladders to seat right when you zip it back up. Also haven't had much luck patching the vinyl bladders. Gorilla tape will get you down the river, but as for a solid permanent fix, haven't found one yet. Someone else here perhaps has had some luck.
SOTAR is my IK of choice because of the customization factor, their material, quality, and small business boating community stature. We run 400-500 lbs down to 150 cfs often (in AZ). My buddy's SOTAR is over 20 years old, and doesn't even have a single patch.

Dusto5 is offline   Reply With Quote