Old 10-09-2014   #11
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Originally Posted by JIMM View Post
Its definitely more tiring using a short paddle even if its lighter.
Because you're actually paddling and using your torso, not just sitting back and steering.

I still say a 200cm kayak paddle is best for most IK paddlers in most IKs, but to each his own...

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014   #12
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
This would be a great discussion to have in an IK forum. C'mon "Low head dams!"

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014   #13
Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
Originally Posted by Randaddy View Post
This would be a great discussion to have in an IK forum. C'mon "Low head dams!"
I agree! Why not?!? Lots of IK specific conversations lately along with a growing # of threads.

I used a few different paddles this year. This year I started using a cheap 200cm kayak paddle and it made me "finesse" use current more as opposed to the big 220cm NRS paddle I was first using where I'd just power through stuff. Also used a 210 NRS all feel a little different, they all work, it comes down to what you like. With the shorter paddle I was engaging core more than arm/lats strength. I think of it like longer paddle longer stroke more power to move form point a to point b faster. Shorter paddle still has plenty power to move punch through and you "guide" the IK. I like a 200-210 it took a day to get used to not having the 220. IK tube size also factors in a bit as to how much paddle is in the water.
The road to Hell is paved with good intentions. KARL MARX
treemanji is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014   #14
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Don't go too short..200 is pushing it...started out with 230 -240 sea kayak type paddles they gave ducky'ers in the 90's actually ran some good shit just fine..then those Carlysle symmetrical blades( sucks) 220ish....went to hardshell paddles 198 ,200,202 ,205 etc,better for playing and manky technical stuff,not as easy to brace or power through stuff... I take two breakdowns on trips ( cuz they're what I got ) a Werner 4 PC 2O2 and some old school but very solid 2 PC 215. ...I fiind myself liking the beefy power face and longer paddle better...210 would be perfect...talking for a 34/36 " wide you think you need a longer paddle if your tall or short -long armed or short armed?
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2014   #15
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I have either a 220 or 215 and want a 205. But I don't actually seem to be getting the IK out lately. I need to change that.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Mountain Buzz mobile app
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014   #16
Seattle, Washington

If you are in a Force, go shorter. If you are in a Hyside, go longer.

220cm/230cm, IMO have no place on the river unless yer a turkey leg eatin' schlitz swilling' tuber.

Seriously though, the shorter paddle is vastly more agile and you have much quicker fine tune strokes close to the bow with a short paddle. If you use C-strokes, dufeks, or really any linked strokes at all, you want a shorter paddle.

If you feel like you can't hit your line without the power of a 230cm paddle, you are over muscling your strokes and might be compensating for making line adjustments too late, or sitting too far back in the boat.

I don't ever use a longer than 197 cm paddle, and I almost never paddle harder than about 70%. I ain't got a problem missing my lines, not on 200 fpm 100 cfs, and not on 80 fpm 8,000 cfs.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014   #17
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1995
Alright,was looking at my fine collection of paddles and came up with some questions.Why don't paddles have the length printed on them somewhere? Why doesn't Werner have at least a model name or serial # somewhere on the paddle?You go to their site and they have pictures of models and descriptions but most of them are so similar it is impossible to tell what your blade is compared to the photo.The other brands I have ( Prijon and Ainsworth) at least have model names,neither of my Werners do.One is a 4pc so maybe only one WW blade style(?)...just semi - bitching ,seems they could label them better without much hassle or cost.....
cayo 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014   #18
Conejos Canyon & Houston, CO & TX
Paddling Since: 1979

Rainbowave 210 made by Mykl Messer. Can't believe I ever used a plastic paddle - this is another world. Have moved to wood for non-inflatable kayaking too.

Great guy and craftsman.

Have fun
crispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2014   #19
Front Range, Colorado
My 2 cents…

I’m 5’8” and used my old hardshell paddles to IK. One is a 193 bent shaft and the other is a 197. Both worked, but would hit my hands on the tubes a lot. Just ordered a Werner Stikine 220 and it is awesome. The extra length is nice to have and the smaller blade size makes for fast paddle strokes when trying to catch a wave. Bracing is easier as well.

iSki is offline   Reply With Quote