Old 07-24-2013   #11
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by orto11 View Post
Fairly simple, open your rolling eyes and look under status on the website. The list is usually chocked full of 2nd or used. Twisted seams, fabric burns etc, boats that the original customer declined.
If I were to buy a boat off that sheet that was listed as a demo, second, blemish, or used, then that's what I'd expect to buy. If it's listed as new, then I would expect it to be new with no faults. Your statement "seems to me that these are all used, blems, seconds" when half the list are listed as new was concerning.

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #12
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Becasue we were talking IKs, the Sotar Hotsheet shows 7; only 1 is a "2nd."
Used or demo are not "mistakes."

What I find more interesting there is that none of the single SLs are 11'
Just wondering.
(Slick said Sotar IKs are longer than Lynx; Lynx is 10'2" IIRC -- so I thought 11" might be "standard.")

johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #13
San Juan Islands, Washington
My Sotar is about 11'3", my Lynx II is 12'6" but feels much bigger due to the longer waterline and bigger tubes
tomrefried is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #14
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Some of the rafts from the sales sheet I've looked at were new and some were demos. Maybe the IKs are mostly demos in a custom size.
cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #15
Seattle, Washington
Originally Posted by johnovice View Post
(Slick said Sotar IKs are longer than Lynx; Lynx is 10'2" IIRC -- so I thought 11" might be "standard.")
Interesting. I haven't actually measured my Sotar, perhaps I'm wrong. I don't believe my Lynx is that close to 10' though, based on hoping it wouldn't require the 10 or greater invasive species tags. but it is well over 10'

It does seem to me when in tight steep technical quarters, I'm fighting the bow and stern in my Stiletto or Sotar. Whereas the Lynx is more stubby and doesn't seem to catch rocks/logs in the inconvenient ways the pointier boats do.

I personally believe mastering your boat is more important than which boat it might be. Any kind of hard paddling requires you to make very quick decisions about where to put your boat, and that depends on water reading, boat control, and knowing your boat.
slickhorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #16
Jackson, Wyoming
Paddling Since: 1966
Sotar site seems to suggest that 11" is standard for the SL (since 2010?)
Kayaks | SOTAR
(unless they are just saying that is what the "blueprint" is of)

However, thier 2013 price list show single IK at 10, 11 or 12 feet.

Aire shows curren production Lynx I to be 10'2"
AIRE | Rafts, Catarafts, Inflatable Kayaks Whitewater Rafting Accessories and Boats

Hmmm, 10, 11, 12?????
(Twelve is darn near the length of a Padillac tandem!)
johnovice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #17
Jackson County, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1979
one other option

I have a Sotar SL, it's about 11' give or take. A great IK that handles most of what you throw at it.

I also have a Sotar ATV Kayak. They're normally about 10-10'6" long, but I chopped mine to 8'6" so I could take it on small local rivers where I live. That being said, it went down the main Salmon last year with no problems. It could be another option for you.

Check out this site from the guide company that came up with the idea:

The SOTAR ATV Inflatable Kayak | Northwest Rafting Company

Here's a couple pics for comparison to the regular Sotar IK.

Have fun with whatever you decide. They're all good boats.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-84.jpg
Views:	292
Size:	1.24 MB
ID:	6758   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo-85.jpg
Views:	302
Size:	1.12 MB
ID:	6759  

VandyIn541 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #18
NorCal, California
Paddling Since: 91
I have 3 Sotar boats, 2006-2012, they all look to be made out of the identical Urethane material. The 2006 boat is made out of the tan appears to be exactly the same material as all their other boats and per Sotar it is. A "friend" who owns a Sotar is not a very credible source imo.

Originally Posted by tomrefried View Post
What are they using instead of Urethane? I mine is made from the tan material that was supposed to be inferior (if you believe everything you hear), It gets constant use in salt water and has seen it's share of sharp barnacles, rocks, and raccoons dragging it around the yard and has never seen a patch.
If they are using something else I'm sure it's a high quality fabric. the tan was a military fabric that was originally made to use as water tanks (bladders) during Desert Storm.
Wavester is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #19
at my house, Montana
Paddling Since: 2020
I bought a used IK two years ago. I tried a Lynx I and a Sotar. I got a sotar, I felt it handled better, bit me better, and I like the thwart backrest. I really really disliked the crazy creek style seat in the Lynx, but I think you can get them with inflatable thwarts also. I don't remember, but maybe the Lynx doesn't come with foot pegs? I can't remember, but I really like the sotar.

A lot of "blems" from Sotar are errors in the customization. Wrong colors, didn't do something that was requested as custom, etc etc and are no problem at all. I have never heard of them selling twisted tubes or major errors to people who think they are getting a new boat.

15-20% can be gotten any time of the year through various reps.
I am a river, babe - I've got plenty of time, I don't know where I'm going, I'm just following the lines..... - "We are water" by Shaye
lhowemt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2013   #20
Dundee, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1989
My wife paddled a 10 foot Sotar for a while, and I'd steal it now and again. I was 325 lbs when I was paddling it, so it was not a hard boat for me to fill up, but it was way more stable than the Force XL I was used to. I like Sotar's floor design, there is no lip or drop in the floor. I like diminished bow boats in big water, the low volume bow doesn't get "pushed" to one side or the other when you climb a larger wave or drop in a big fold. My big ass made it draft a fair amount of water, so I tried to take it down stuff with some volume.
I'd like to try an ATV and the 11 foot SL. I've paddled Rikens, an older Sotar IK, a Lynx once, a Momentum Harrier (Love that ugly boat!) AIRE Caracal, and the Tomcat one man. I couldn't imagine packing an SL for an overnight trip, that ATV looks pretty cool. I think I need a test paddle.

Learch is offline   Reply With Quote