Igloo Cooler MARINE ULTRA 162 - any good? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-05-2016   #1

Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1970
Igloo Cooler MARINE ULTRA 162 - any good?

Hi folks,

Does anyone have experience with the Igloo Cooler MARINE ULTRA 162? NRS sells it. Quality of latches/hinges/drain? Any advice would be appreciated.

There are many pricey coolers out there. This one does not seem too outrageous.

https://www.igloocoolers.com/0004468...ltra-162-white
Igloo Marine Ultra 162 Quart Cooler at nrs.com

Thanks!

stony2275 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016   #2

Western Slope, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2009
It's amazing they actually admit it only has loose fiberglass insulation. Usually they don't because that is only about R-2 per inch vs. Dead Air space at R1 and all the through plastic at the edges at R0.
I always wondered why they didn't use the squirt in Urethane Foam at R6 per inch. It seems like there were some in the past with it from them, but I haven't seen one in a while.
Igloo markets the marine cooler line at a higher price for being more robust. Hinged latches vs. bending plastic ones. A drainplug. Stainless hinges. Marine-ey looking handles.
I never liked the big coolers. Full of stuff they are a bear to carry especially up steep banks, over the truck rails, etc. I'd rather have 2 smaller coolers instead.
I've always considered drilling some 1" holes near the top of the outside faces of one of the cheapest Walmart coolers I could find, the ones without any foam blocking fiberglass and getting a can of great stuff and layer it in, and eventually filling it up inside. A drain plug could be fashioned with PVC parts from Home Depot for about $2. Zinc hinges from Home Depot replace the plastic ones screw for screw, or even through bolted and will last as long as SS if not constantly in Salt Water for about $3.
A crafty person can probably make rope handles. Total cost about $50 for 2 of them.
ColoradoDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016   #3

I would either pony up for an Engel or equivalent when they are on sale for just a little more or go for a 150 qt Gott / Rubbermaid if you don't want to spend that much. I don't see the value with the Igloo Marine, they're really not comparable to the top of the line coolers and will not last as long.
idaho_h2o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016   #4
Beginner

Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
Stony,

I just cleaned out an Igloo Marine Ultra 162 cooler (or whatever its predecessor was called) that we use every weekend at the outfitter I work for in WV. It gets dragged around, up the bus stairs, put in rafts, dropped, stood on, and generally abused. It has the previous outfitter's name sharpied on it from 20+ years ago. I bet it lasts another 10 years.

I bought an Igloo Marine 50q for my Mini Me. People sat on it, it survived pins, flips, and lots of adults sitting on it. I still use it as my "go-to" beer and camping cooler. The easily replacable latches and hinges have been nice. It's on year 14 now and has no cracks or damage.

I use an Igloo Marine 120 as well. It was outside a neighbor's house marked "free". I find it keeps ice very well in the West Virginia heat.

If I need to keep things frozen for three weeks I prefer a Yeti-type cooler, but I have found Igloo Marine products to be very well insulated and durable for the price!
Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2016   #5

Boulder, Colorado
Igloo cooler - what about new Gott/Rubbermaid?

Interesting about the Gott. I have a Gott 120 that has lasted 20 years, but wanted something bigger. I thought they had stopped making them. I also have a 60 and a 75 which are also decades old. The new 150 is in the style (built in handles instead of the rope style) of the 60 and 75s. So, this looks like a pretty good alternative. My 120 holds ice very well and has been on many, many trips including the Grand.

Anyone have any experience with the newer Gott 150? Is it as good as the vintage Gott/Rubermaids?

>>>>I would either pony up for an Engel or equivalent when they are on sale for just a little more or go for a 150 qt Gott / Rubbermaid if you don't want to spend that much. I don't see the value with the Igloo Marine, they're really not comparable to the top of the line coolers and will not last as long.
Old 10-06-2016   #6

Boulder, Colorado
Igloo cooler - what about new Gott/Rubbermaid?

And does the Gott/Rubermaid 150 have a drain?
Old 10-06-2016   #7

Belgrade, Montana
Paddling Since: 1991
I have one (Gott 150 that is), just held ice for 11 days including pre/post travel on the middle fork and still had 1/4 of it's ice left. Trip wasn't particularly hot, but not cold either. I have had it for 3 years now and I like it. I also have a 100 qt 1st gen yeti. The yeti requires less ice for the same basic duration but is much smaller.

I put 9 frozen half gallon jugs accross the bottom of the gott for the MF trip, plus 3 bags of crushed ice prior to the trip. It's a great cooler. It has a drain on one end. There are two versions, one is typically around $100 and has plastic latches and hinges, the other is around $150 with ss latches and hinges and 2x2 gallon dividers and 3x 3/4 gallon screw in lid containers. I typically use the dividers and it'll do well for 4-5 days with a few bags of crushed ice on top. With the half gallon juice jugs (and no 2 gallon dividers) I had a lot more usable space and way better ice retention. I did use the lid containers but they were thawed after 2 days - I just considered them a buffer to heat transfer. Some folks fill them with hard liqour and freeze/supercool also.

The only drawback is that the lid cables separated right away, even while trying to baby them. I've tried to fix them twice with brief success but will replace with a better crimp device this winter. Oh, it's also ungainly to carry, the handles are actually too low, so it wants to flip over while carrying. But at 150 qts, full of ice food and beer it's f'ing heavy and not something you're likely to haul around anyways...It has 4 built in beer holders on top which actually really come in handy. I'd buy another one...
Old 10-09-2016   #8

Park City, Utah
Paddling Since: 1982
Stony,
We have one and it's OK(I think we paid about $300 in '09), but it's not comparable to the new Igloo Yukon 150 qt we bought about a year and a half ago. On a hot May GC trip in '09, the 162 Marine held ice for about 13 days. On a cool April trip last year, after 22 days, I threw a plate size piece of ice out of the Yukon 150 when we got home.

The reason we bought the Yukon 150 is that it's similar to the Yeti in construction, but actually has close to the capacity of it's model #. 148 qt. compared to a Yeti 160, which is really about 135 qt. or so. The Yukon was a lot less than a Yeti as well.

The molded on handles of the Yukon could be a problem for some folks when it comes to rigging, but we use them to strap the cooler onto the frame in our set up. We don't have to run straps across it except in big rapid situations. Makes beer access so much easier.
tmacc is offline   Reply With Quote