if Parnter Steel made a DO the size of the Rome Super Cooker would you buy it? - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

View Poll Results: would you buy a partner steel DO the same dimension as the old Rome Combo Cooker?
hell yes, 36 76.60%
no 2 4.26%
who cares 9 19.15%
Voters: 47. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-03-2016   #1

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
if Parnter Steel made a DO the size of the Rome Super Cooker would you buy it?

Partner steel makes great anodized aluminum dutch ovens with griddle lid that are trapezoid shaped. They are welded together, not cast like most other aluminum dutch ovens.

The Rome Super Cooker, the big rectangular one with the griddle lid that fits perfectly on a partner stove and makes a great DO for meals for 8 to 10 peeps, has almost a cult following, but haven't been made for a long time and Rome has no plans to fix the problems they had to produce some more.

The question:

If Partner Steel made a hard anodized aluminum dutch oven he same design they have now:

but made it a similar dimension as the Rome Super Cooker:

would you buy it? Just for assumptions, lets say $200 or less, as their most expensive 14" DO is less than $150 currently.

I inquired to Partner Steel today on this topic and they aren't interested in adding a DO to their line up at this time, but an inquiry by some unknown yahoo like me probably doesn't mean much. A thread with a bunch of stoke may change their mind. It seams to be a simple matter of just making their existing DO longer instead of square shaped. Since they are welded, its not a casting problem, but a matter of programming a machine or building a jig depending on how they cut out the pieces that they then weld together.

They already make a "lasagna" pan on special order that is nearly the same size as the old Rome Super Cooker but it doesn't have a lid. If they added a griddle lid to their lasagna pan, there you have it.

shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-03-2016   #2

Up North, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1985
see the poll at the top of the page
shappattack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2016   #3

Post Falls, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2000
I'd buy one for sure, but I'd hope the handles could detach or fold someway. That's the only thing I don't like about my Rome.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Mountain Buzz mobile app
Paul7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #4

Golden, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1989
If it were sub $200 and had welded wire handles instead of the Rome type I'd absolutely be a buyer. Make it so the 14 or 12 qt units nest inside and it be even better.
Daryl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #5

Jenks, Oklahoma
I would buy one in a flash

hope partner steel does offer this
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #6

Jenks, Oklahoma
"They already make a "lasagna" pan on special order that is nearly the same size as the old Rome Super Cooker but it doesn't have a lid. If they added a griddle lid to their lasagna pan, there you have it."

I emailed Partner Steel and advised them of this thread and my desire to have a copy of the Rome fish cooker made by Partner Steel. Also asked about the lasagna cooker. They sent me back a picture of the lasagna cooker and I totally agree some sort of top similar to existing Partner Steel Griddles would make that lasagna cooker into a very reasonable version of the Rome fish cooker dutch oven / fry pan. As mentioned above, I doubt if they would respond to the other poster and my email but I believe the more people who post to this thread and email them just might help them decide to make a test run. I have a bunch of PS products and all of them are built to last a lifetime maybe longer. Spread the word and email Partner Steel as well.
dave
Old 08-05-2016   #7

north little rock, Arkansas
This here Arkie voted yes!
lncoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #8

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
I'd buy one, especially if it was made so that the partner steel griddle I already own is the lid. (In case you're reading this Partner Steel, I have the 12" X 18" for the 4 burner break apart.)
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2016   #9

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
Find out how many they'd need to sell to make it worth their while and then get a an Indiegogo or other crowdsourcing fund started!
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016   #10

Jenks, Oklahoma
Here is the response I got from Partner Steel after I asked them about the lasagna pan. I think I will order the lasagna pan anyway. My thoughts are the lasagna pan would be a perfect fry pan for massive amounts of things like home fries etc.

The Lasagna pan has the same base and angle as the griddle. Difference is 3” sides.
Because of the angle and extended sides, the griddle would fit in the lasagna pan, not seal it and griddle handles would rest on the top edge of the pan.
Lasagna Pan: $100.00

Bill Roskelley
Partner Steel Co., Inc.
208 233 2371