if Parnter Steel made a DO the size of the Rome Super Cooker would you buy it? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Go Back   Mountain Buzz > Whitewater Boating > Whitewater Rafting > Rafting | Gear Talk

View Poll Results: would you buy a partner steel DO the same dimension as the old Rome Combo Cooker?
hell yes, 37 77.08%
no 2 4.17%
who cares 9 18.75%
Voters: 48. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2016   #21

Lakewood, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1993
Yeah...if you have the ability to weld aluminum you definitely have the ability to make similar cookware. Whether it will be significant enough cost difference to make it worth your time is what I want to know. The DO's are like 200 or so, but by the time you buy material, cut it, weld it, and then have it sent off to be hard anodized (different then normal anodizing...has to be temperature controlled) it definitely adds up.

I have all the stuff to do it (and an intermediate level of skill), but the thing I've found is that fabrication companies usually charge the prices they do because that is what they need to float their business and not because they are greedy.

That said, I try not to take my time into consideration unless i have to take time off work...so its probably worth it in the long run. It may not look as nice as the Partner stuff, but I'm sure I could come up with something that works just as well and would be specifically catered to what I want.

As for texture, the texture from your typical cast iron items or even cast aluminum stuff is more due to the process then out of necessity or design. In my experience, smoother surfaces are easier to clean and stuff doesn't stick to them as easily and I can't think of a benefit of the rough texture that most DO's have. That rough texture comes from the casting process and is hard to get much better then you see it on most cast iron and aluminum.

Especially if we went the group buy route, I think any fabricator/welder on here could bang out a batch of partner style Rome Cookers pretty easily and make a decent profit still. The more you make the cheaper the material is per unit and the more worth your time it is since you can make multiple items from each setup.

Electric-Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2016   #22

Colorado Springs, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1974
They do great with pancakes, eggs, bacon, fried potatoes, chicken enchiladas, you name it.
They are smooth, just like the griddles.
No pics avail right now. Will look later.
duct tape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016   #23

PS. I have no affiliation with PS. Just reporting what works for me, as I've gotten such great gear info in the past from many others here.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-31-2016   #24

Also forgot to mention. Before the PS pans I used to carry two Bayou Classic cast iron fish pans. Pretty much a knock off of the Lodge ones but not quite the quality. Loved the pans in the kitchen but hated cleaning them or carrying them to and from, not to mention on, the boat.
Old 08-31-2016   #25

Nampa, Idaho
Paddling Since: 2014
if Parnter Steel made a DO the size of the Rome Super Cooker would you buy it?

So I called Partner Steel and spoke to Bill about a question on my 4 burner. I also asked him about a lid to the Lasagna Pan to create a pot similar to the Rome Cooker. He said that they were very resistant to creating a lid for it, but based on all the recent requests he was changing his mind. He said that he was going to speak with his production manager and begin development after the Christmas rush. "Look for an announcement this spring".

Unfortunately as the owner of 2 griddles, they will leave the lasagna pan as is and fabricate a new lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Dr.AndyDVM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2016   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr.AndyDVM View Post
So I called Partner Steel and spoke to Bill about a question on my 4 burner. I also asked him about a lid to the Lasagna Pan to create a pot similar to the Rome Cooker. He said that they were very resistant to creating a lid for it, but based on all the recent requests he was changing his mind. He said that he was going to speak with his production manager and begin development after the Christmas rush. "Look for an announcement this spring".

Unfortunately as the owner of 2 griddles, they will leave the lasagna pan as is and fabricate a new lid.

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
I also own two griddles (which I should sell), but this IMO is a good decision. Otherwise, due to the slope of the side of the pans, the bottom would be much smaller, not covering the two burners as well and limiting pan capacity.

Good on PS! As a gear junkie I'll buy them.
Old 03-04-2017   #27

NE, Oregon
Bump
Willie 1.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2017   #28

Jenks, Oklahoma
As mentioned earlier, I did order the lasagna pan. Very happy with it.

If Partner Steel came out with a griddle that would fit on top of the lasagna pan, I would buy it in a flash. Or a lasagna pan that existing griddles would fit on top, I would buy that. I do have two griddles already. I put both griddles on my P/S 4 burner stove and it is a pancake cooking machine.
okieboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2017   #29

Arco, Idaho
Paddling Since: 1989
Well, here we go....

The Super Cooker prototype

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1490322564.515854.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	15706Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByMountain Buzz1490322577.612398.jpg