Old 03-22-2014   #21
Bozeman, Montana
Paddling Since: 1980
I bring Talenti gelato. Comes in real nice plastic container with a screw on lid and taste great. Using a cooler inside a cooler is a great idea. I have read once that someone cracked there cooler using dry ice in it. I suspect they used a lot for this to have happened though.

Sembob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2014   #22
Los Alamos, New Mexico
Paddling Since: 1983
Originally Posted by jtnc View Post
two words "liquid nitrogen". Creamy smooth ice cream in under 30 seconds! Gave us great ice cream 4 days in on a Middle Fork trip. The catch being you need access to liquid nitrogen and an appropriate dewer (not a thermos). But definitely has been some of the best ice cream I've had.
What did you store the dewer in on the river for 4 days?

How much liquid nitrogen did you start with to have enough after 4 days to make ice cream?

My wife the chemist is rather intrigued.

gbmaz is offline   Reply With Quote
lafayette, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1961
I took some 2" foam house insulation from Home Depot, the kind with foil on both sides. I built a box with a self sealing lid out of it and duck tape. Big enough to hold two 1 gallon containers of Ice cream and lots of room for dry ice. It fits tightly in my 129 qt. cooler. Upside is it keeps ice cream frozen for up to 7 days It was getting a little soft on day 7. Down side is you need to remember to take it out before mixing up and baking brownies to thaw a little. I always pack a frozen cooler, dairy cooler and a veggie cooler so I can avoid freezing the other stuff. When using the dry ice even when surrounded by 2" of foam the entire cooler freezes solid and I get frost on outside the foam ice cream box. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #24
If you are going to go the "take a whole brick of ice-cream and dry ice" route, try this trick.

Before you go, cut the ice cream brick into 1 inch slices. Put a piece of waxed paper or plastic on each side and then pop them back in their box and refreeze them. That way, when you take that rock hard brick out of the dry ice, you can still easily take out the number of servings you want. The smaller pieces melt faster and more consistently, making for faster eating!

We used to do this when I was on Boy Scout canoe trips in the Adirondacks. We would take the slices and shove a fork in them to hold em and eat em. Some times we would bring the Hershey's syrup to dip em in for sundaes on a stick!
BoscoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #25
Redmond, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1973
Here is what the Yetis site says about dry ice:

Use one 10 inch/10 pound block of Dry Ice per 15 inch length section of your YETI cooler. This will ensure everything is kept frozen, including water ice, for at least 24-48 hours.
Wrap each block of dry ice in several sheets of newspaper before packing.
Dry Ice can be packed on top of or below food, but it will keep longer if packed on top (for convenience, many people pack it on bottom).
When packing the cooler with dry ice, try to minimize air pockets (empty space) in your YETI. Less air space will keep dry ice frozen longer. Water ice can be used to fill this space.
As with regular ice, try to keep your YETI in the coolest temperature spot available. Covering your cooler with a blanket or sleeping bag will help preserve all ice longer.
Dry ice can be used in combination with cubed or blocked water ice.
Nothing about a cooler insert to hold the dry ice. Just the newspaper wrap technique.

But here (How to Store Dry Ice: 5 Steps (with Pictures) - wikiHow) I found:

Prepare your container. Dry ice should be stored in an insulated container; the better the insulation, the slower your dry ice will sublimate. A polystyrene cooler will work well. A small polystyrene cooler inside of a larger 1 will work wonderfully - the air space in between the 2 coolers provides added insulation.
Your container should have a lid, but it must be a loose fitting lid. Storing dry ice in an airtight container presents a huge hazard - the carbon dioxide gas will build up and eventually produce enough pressure to cause the container to explode.

Or you vent them on a schedule.
BilloutWest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014   #26
Denver-ish, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1999
Just a FYI - It's hard to make ice cream if you stick rum in it during the churning process. Wait until after and pour in your own bowl!
yesimapirate is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2014   #27
Old Guy in a PFD
Tucson, Arizona
Paddling Since: 1967
Originally Posted by slamkal View Post

I think if i get this crazy idea that i need ice cream on a river, .................

Schutzie is offline   Reply With Quote