Old 03-26-2015   #1
Park City, Utah
Hyside vs NRS

Sorry if this has been covered before, but I can't find a specific thread on these two boats. First post, but I've been browsing for quite a while.

I've decided on rubber as my material of choice, and have narrowed it down to Hyside vs NRS.

I'm looking at a 15' boat, to be set up as an oar rig for multi day trips with the family. I've come down to either the NRS E-150 or the Hyside Pro 15.0. I have a lead on getting the NRS at 10% off, and Down River Equipment is having a sale coming up in early April on Hyside.

I've rented and borrowed NRS boats and really like them, but I'm wondering if the Hyside will be better in the long run. Lighter and urethan coated. Plus all the good words.

Spigot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015   #2
Eastern Slope, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980
I've owned both, sold both, guided both, and repaired both. I prefer the Hysides - mostly because they are just a bit lighter and the urethane coating is really solid. They also fetch a bit more if you sell them used. I would personally spend $500 more on the Hyside, but not much more than that. I would also get the rub strake if it's available to you. 3 thwarts too - you'll want to paddle that 15er during spring runoff!

Randaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015   #3
Hard pack, Utah
Paddling Since: 01
NRS makes a really solid boat, but Hyside is better
NWO Whiewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015   #4
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1980

I am have been very happy with all my NRS stuff

I have been very happy with my hyside rafts

your looking at a very good boat, and a very good boat.

Maybe color choice will break the tie

shredder-scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2015   #5
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
Just a note, the Hyside Outfitter 14.0 XT has almost the exact same frame size dimensions as the 15.0 Pro (only difference is 1" shorter straight tube) and comes with 11 D rings for a thousand dollars less. Also comes with 3 thwarts which will make your resale value better.
wabashabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015   #6
Park City, Utah
Thanks all for the input. I was leaning towards Hyside and that's probably the way we'll go.

wabashabi - Brandon at Hyside thought the 14 XT would be a good choice. That extra foot (and thicker material) on the 15 for $1000 is something to think about.
Old 03-27-2015   #7
Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
I originally had put in an order for the 15.0 Pro last fall, but am very glad I decided to switch to the 14 XT to save some money. The extra material doesn't seem to be worth it for a rec boater and am glad I have the option to day run with thwarts too. It is still a very heftily built boat. The 14 XT with the extra D rings this year is almost identical to the NRS E140 I think. If you are really looking to buy something that can accommodate a huge frame the NRS 150 might be better with its 94" frame length, but I put a 81" Recretec Cargo Frame on mine and it fits perfect. Also something to consider if you are running with a frame is the thwart knuckles on the Hysides stick out a bit. My 40" boxes look like they will clear without rubbing but I haven't had the weather to get it on the water yet. Any wider and they would probably rub the knucks.

In the end after comparing the NRS and Hyside side by side and seeing the both in person at my local shop I consider the Hyside a better built boat.
wabashabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2015   #8
Charleston, West Virginny
Paddling Since: 1996
I own a 14ft hyside and a 14ft NRS.....I'd go with the hyside mainly because of the urethane and weight
2kanzam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2015   #9
Park City, Utah
Ordered the Hyside Pro 15, with 3 thwarts. Very excited thanks all for he input.

Sent from my iPad using Mountain Buzz
Old 04-26-2015   #10
seattle, Washington
Paddling Since: 90
Burger King or Wendy's . Nrs or hyside.Both are processed crap. Seriously all that money for a Chinese boat. Dont get me started on a sealed floor. Anyway , at least it should float.

bucketboater is offline   Reply With Quote