Hyside or Nrs? - Page 5 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-21-2016   #41
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
One advantage to Nrs is that they tend to track like a mo fo. When ever I rent a guided with Hysides, they were good boats, but I always liked Nrs better, that might be partly cause that's what I learned on an and mostly guided in. my 21 year old E-series that was part of there original fleet is still going. 11 years of that commercial. (including '02 on the Ark)+ 10 years of LOTS of use and pretty bad abuse by me.
I like to go around tubes, in addition to D-rings with my gear frame, D- rings are less of a concern that way.

Advertisement

Old 08-21-2016   #42
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by treemanji View Post
I have noticed most of the commercial rigs I see around CO and UT are NRS.
My old company started with Nrs because they really worked with them to replace a worn out fleet of Bucket boats, Sounds like Gator was the Bomb to have as a rep. They stuck with Nrs for the rest of there existence cause of that.
Old 08-21-2016   #43

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
One advantage to Nrs is that they tend to track like a mo fo. When ever I rent a guided with Hysides, they were good boats, but I always liked Nrs better, that might be partly cause that's what I learned on an and mostly guided in. my 21 year old E-series that was part of there original fleet is still going. 11 years of that commercial. (including '02 on the Ark)+ 10 years of LOTS of use and pretty bad abuse by me.
I like to go around tubes, in addition to D-rings with my gear frame, D- rings are less of a concern that way.
I didn't think about that. I own a bucket boat, therefore I cant wrap the tubes with a stap to a frame .I really like that idea for high water cat trips or if I ever get a grand permit .

Tda
tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-21-2016   #44

Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattman View Post
I am told the floors on the NRS boats are a bit stiffer than the Hyside boats. This may help with the tracking.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016   #45

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyman View Post
I am told the floors on the NRS boats are a bit stiffer than the Hyside boats. This may help with the tracking.
This is probably because Hyside specs a prv with a 2.0 psi relief pressure, while most manufacturers use 2.6 psi.
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016   #46

Salt Lake City, Utah
Is that .6 noticable? These are all great things I need for my decision between the two.
Old 08-21-2016   #47

Minturn, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2010
You can always swap out for a higher PRV, and keep original in you repair kit. Both my hysides floors are plenty firm

Sent from my iPhone using Mountain Buzz
Sherpa9543 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016   #48

summit, Colorado
Our brand new Hyside didn't even come with a 2.0 prv - in addition to sloppy glue and crooked seams, it only had a 1.75 prv! Finally got them to replace it, but even at 2.0 the floor is pretty soft.

Sent from my HTC6545LVW using Mountain Buzz mobile app
basinrafter is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016   #49

Durango, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
.6/2 is 30% so probably enough to be noticeable. I like the floor pressure in my hyside, but it is not as firm as some other rafts I have been in. The up side of the slightly softer floor is that rocks don't slow you down as much at low water.

You can always replace the prv, and just let a little air out for low water runs but personally I wouldn't risk the floor damage. Hyside uses the 2.0 prv for a reason, and I can't recall ever seeing a hyside with a blown I-beam so I have just used with the stock valve. I don't think the floor pressure makes much of a difference over that range unless you are going to be standing on it a lot, for instance fly fishing. If floor stiffness is your goal, a drop stitch floor is much better than any I-beam. It is possible that the difference in floor pressure could lead to one being a stiffer boat when it comes to an 18' raft, but I think that frame design and tube pressure would be much bigger factors.

Also, I think they have the trainees build the smaller Hysides. The bigger boats seem to have better workmanship than the mini me and mini max boats I have seen.
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2016   #50

Salt Lake City, Utah
Who makes drop stitch floors?