Hyside or Nrs? - Page 4 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-19-2016   #31

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
Mattman for president! Well said. I've rowed snout rigs and they make you learn water. No quick spin moves to make up for bad judgement . Iniertia is an amazing thing that will punish you for not planning ahead

tanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-20-2016   #32

Belfair, Washington
Paddling Since: 93
I am a big fan of RMR's love them, with that said I do have a old used Aire 18-E for sale
Black Rock Coolers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016   #33

Salt Lake City, Utah
TDA, I have had my Hyside for over 15 years. Still like new. I did just pick up an Aire 156R. We just got back from a Middle Fork trip and the old Hyside was awesome. I'm here is SLC if you wanted to come and check it out. They are inflated in my garage.

I think both NRS and Hyside are about the same in regards to quality. The NRS boats seem to be a bit heavier.

One thing I did notice, the Aire seems to track better.

We're doing a Ruby/Horsethief Westwater trip on 9/17.
Skyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016   #34

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
+1 on the Hyside thwart knuckles. If you're sure you never need thwarts have the knuckles left off. It makes the raft harder to roll having a bunch of hard plastic pieces on the inside.
wabashabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016   #35

Pinecliffe, Colorado
Paddling Since: 05
I have noticed most of the commercial rigs I see around CO and UT are NRS. Hyside and NRS are bomb but I like that the NRS is made in North America. We just picked up a used NRS 18' from an Outfitter in ID on our way home from ID for our winter grand trip, the boat is 8 years old and still in very good shape, no issues the company owner estimated the boat to have 1,200 commercial river days.
Old 08-20-2016   #36

Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
I had a fun Hyside 12 footer for one season. I sold it and my 14 foot cataraft in order to buy a Sotar raft. Brandon at Hyside was super to work with. If I had room & money I would have kept the Hyside. It was well made and a blast to row.

Does NRS make their rafts in the U.S. or are they imported? I thought they were imported but I could be wrong.
Old 08-20-2016   #37

Portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2005
NRS is China, Hyside South Korea
wabashabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016   #38

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
I thought nrs were made in Mexico .
tanderson is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016   #39

D-rings

Get the boat you think is best and have a pro put on D-rings of the size, location, and angle orientation that you want. I have a friend who had me put 4 D-rings on his NRS floor so he could use 2 cam straps to keep his favorite cooler in. Another time I installed a footcup on the rear thwart for a shorter guide.
bodfishblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2016   #40

Quality Control

NRS boats are made in Mexico at the NRS facility which is owned by NRS and unlike many other brands that are "farmed out" to facilities that make inflatable for multiple brands ONLY make NRS boats. The result is very high quality control.
bodfishblues is offline   Reply With Quote