Hyside or Nrs? - Page 3 - Mountain Buzz

Old 08-19-2016   #21

Salt Lake City, Utah
Paddling Since: 2008
I like big boats and I cannot lie.....

I take a ton of gear and also do as many Cataract Canyon trips as possible. That's a pretty big river, thus the big boat. I guess the difference between 16 and 18 foot boats is so small with respect to length and width, that I opt for 18'er so I can bring a couple more 30 packs without taking up much desired lounge space. I sometimes rent a 13 footer for Westwater trips and enjoying its easy maneuverability. I have access to some army bases in Northern Utah that rent small rafts for cheap, therefore I'm not too concerned about buying one. We also like to sleep on the raft. Other than the occasional boat spider, we find the breeze coming off the river to keep us much cooler than the hot ass sand.

tda
slc

tanderson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016   #22

Aurora, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
"A big raft can only go on big rivers...."

I don't really agree with this. An 18' boat can go down a lot more rivers than people think. Granted, a smaller boat will fit down more rivers- an 18' boat isn't making it down Vallecito Creek. That said, I see it all the time where people bring their 13 or 14er on, say, a low water Middle Fork trip <750cfs, and get stuck all day compared to our 18' boats because a 14' drafts deeper than an 18'. Even loaded down with all the outfitter equipment for 20+ guests I would rather have an 18' boat than a 14' boat.

"....handling and shape. I feel like once a raft is that big it doesn't matter enough to justify the huge price difference."

I totally disagree with this. Handling and, therefore, shape are huge to me with a large, heavily loaded boat. An 18' boat that's a shitty pig when loaded is no fun to row, and can be exhausting and difficult to make your lines. A boat that handles well- tracks, stays stiff, shaped/sized appropriately, etc, is hugely important to me.

For example, I guided Vanguards for several years, and their 14' boats are adequate for non-commercial users taking multi-day trips a few times a year. Their 16', on the other hand, was simply a stretched out version of the 14. It's too narrow, to skinny of tubes, too flat to the water. In short, it's a totally different boat than the 14' and handles like crap, and flips very well.

Boat design definitely makes a difference, and I would say with a bigger boat it's more important to have a boat that handles well, not less. After all, turning a 13 or 14er back over is a heck of a lot easier than turning over your 18' boat.
climbdenali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016   #23

Silverthorne, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1996
Love my white 16"xt. I bought it during their preseason sale a few years back.

Mine has internal and external d-rings bow and stern, 2 internal and external d-rings on each side, for a total of 12.

Build quality is excellent and I couldn't be happier with the performance.

Brandon Williams was awesome to work with and the boat was delivered 2 weeks earlier than promised.

I've had great experiences with NRS, I just like the ability to customize the Hyside.

I got mine without thwarts (saved hundreds of dollars), and more importantly without thwart attachments. That way the plastic knuckles don't get in your way. (never gonna paddle raft it anyway).
Old 08-19-2016   #24

Salt Lake City, Utah
Great feedback. I am looking at the white one just like you have. Can you post a photo so I can look at your frame set up?
Old 08-19-2016   #25

Silverthorne, Colorado
I sent you a PM. I actually have 4 external d ring on each side, for a total of 16.
Old 08-19-2016   #26

Salt Lake City, Utah
Wow! That is exactly what I want but 2 feet longer! I'm getting the frame made by edddyline welding out of moab. Its going to be a lot like your rig.

I like how Hyside has inner d rings for the frame as well as the outer ones.

Next to that other avon, your raft looks nicely loaded and organized with everything low.

thanks,

tda
slc
Old 08-19-2016   #27

Great Falls, Montana
Paddling Since: .3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tanderson View Post
All great responses and respectable opinions. I am curious about the comment about hyside going down in quality. What specifically do you mean? Also, I'm a little scared of Sotar due to recent material problems. Being that this will likely be my only new boat purchase, I don't want to take any chances. I noticed that the hyside is 63 pounds lighter than the nrs expedition 18. Both dimensions are nearly the same. Maybe the thwarts on the nrs add extra weight, however 63 pounds is not all thwart.

I appreciate all the feedback and enjoy hearing from people with much more experience than I will ever have.

tda
slc
Me too. I though NRS and Hyside has been using the same hypalon for more than 20 years or something so will you please tell us more about what is changing? Thanks
ob1coby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016   #28

Durango, Colorado
I believe the nrs and hyside fabric have always been different. Both are hypalon, or whatever they call it now that DuPont is no longer the manufacturer, but the base fabric is different, as well as the manufacturing process. I believe hyside makes all of their fabric in house, while nrs sources the fabric from somewhere. In my experience, nrs has better build quality, while hyside makes a more durable boat. The seams on my hyside are a little sloppy, with glue outside the seams, and some glue missing as well. I have never seen the problems my boat has on a nrs, but I have seen them on other hysides. I will be purchasing another boat over the winter, and it will be another hyside. Nothing against nrs, they just don't make a 60lb boat anymore, and the mini max seems like the perfect boat for Rockwood.

Also, I saw quite a few 16' and 18' rafts on the Dolores this year, and they didn't seem to be having any issues with the small river, and 900cfs. It was a eye opening experience, as I always associated big boats with big water and assumed that they were not really an option on smaller rivers.
Floatin mucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2016   #29

Salt Lake City, Utah
My buddy and I row 18ers and enjoy seeing where we can take them. We always find that their size isn't an issue. In fact, I see 14 ers loaded to the gills, drafting deep, and they looked miserable to row. We passed a small raft where there was a small area for this woman to sit legs crossed. There was nowhere else to sit with all their luggage for 5 days. We passed them while my wife was laid out full length. The crossed legged lady looked pissed.

Viva big boats
Old 08-19-2016   #30
Misspellingintothefuture!

Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
I think your headed the right direction with getting an 18'. Seems like whenever I'm in Cat, most of the commercial oar boats are 18's, and I've seen cataract guides move them really well down there, partly because they are not drafting a ton. If your taking big boats down small stuff, it will make you a better boater, and then some day, get your self a little play boat for the really small stuff, and there will be no stopping you....