Hyside 14XT - first-hand feedback? - Mountain Buzz

Old 10-13-2016   #1

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Hyside 14XT - first-hand feedback?

Hello, I'd love some first-hand feedback on the Hyside Outfitter 14.0XT. I would certainly love to hear overall opinions, but I'm particularly interested in a few things: How does it compare to the other 14x7 rafts, and particularly the NRS E/Otter 140 as well as to the other 14' Hysides? From the pictures, the corners seem to cut in pretty dramatically compared to most rafts (looks more like the AIRE E series than most to me). Is this noticeable for people paddling in the front? If we were to go this route, it would be used as both a gear boat and a paddle boat. How do people like it for a paddle boat; high and low/technical water? It seems to have a fair amount of kick. How noticeable is that in the wind?

I know that is a lot random questions, but they are the ones that have been swirling around in my head. I have a lot of experience in rafts, particularly Hysides, I've just never been fortunate enough to spend time in an XT, but the dimensions are right. Is there anyone in the Denver area, especially the southern portions, that would be willing to let my wife and I come check theirs out in person?

Thank you for all of your help!

waterbob83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016   #2

Montrose, Colorado
I don't have any experience with the 14XT, but it is essentially the same cut/design as the Pro 14 except with the lighter fabric. The bigger tubes do not lend themselves to being a good paddle boat, but make for a great oar rig. The kick is in the "just right" size IMHO. Good for punching waves, and I have been in some high Deso wind (loaded down) with no issues.
I considered the 14XT, but ended up going with the Pro for the thicker denier.
QuietHunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2016   #3

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I have an 14XT, bought it in 2014. Use it at a oar boat and paddle boat and it performs well. I ran Gore canyon with it R3 and had no issues. If you go the Hyside web site page for the 14xt the video at the bottom of the page with the gray boat is mine. I also run may multi night trips with no issues. The only thing i don't like about the design is that the front and back bays are rather small when I have my 4 bay frame on it but my frame is a little long, I tried to get as much into the frame as I could and sacrificed for it.

One issue I have experienced outside of the design is the weight of the fabric, I have had three wear spot on it from rubbing that I did not notice until I was at home cleaning it and don't remember any excessive moment went at camp over night or on a trailer. I also think the Pro model is different than the Outfitter, the Pro was narrower than the Outfitter.

Just my two cents, and I do live in Denver but not on the south side. It is still rigger in my garage but not for long, it will get packed away for the season soon.
Old 10-14-2016   #4

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2007
Thanks for the replies so far! I'd love to hear more.

jspoon, where are the wear spots? Under the frame or somewhere else?
waterbob83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2016   #5

Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2012
I run frame pads so don't really have an issue with that, the spots that I have found are at or below the water line.