Old 03-06-2016   #1
Eagle, Colorado
Paddling Since: 92
How to convert a bucket boat to a self bailer?

where can I get an inflatable floor for an older Achilles 16' bucket boat?

jonahdid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016   #2
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Not sure if it would fit, but sounds like rmr has about the best prices on floors.
There are also some fairly recent threads on the topic that may have some useful info.

If the project is successful, and said raft is not yet named, you should name it "Achiles last stand"

" I wish I were a headlight, on a North bound train..."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016   #3
Paddling Since: 1994
From Achilles.

They actually have the cheapest hypalon floor around. It will run about $1200 for the floor if they didn't raise the price this year. The nice thing about some of the achilles boats out there is that the floor is actually raised in the boat which makes the conversion easier.

I can order the floor for you if you'd like. Give me a buzz if you want to chat about it.
zach baird
zbaird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016   #4
fat guy in a little boat
FtC / Rancho del Rio, Colorado
Paddling Since: 8AM
x2 on zach's word. he know's what's up.

we run old 16' achilles buckets on the upper c.
their sb floors were notorious for blowing i-beams for years. in the last few years they've gotten their shit together. and a big part of that has been dealing with replacement floors, apparently of a way higher quality than anytime in the last decade.

the actual conversion process itself is a whole different story.
unless you know what you're doing, i'd strongly advise you to seek out someone who does.
the process might seem straight forward, but it's tedious work, and it's easy to get into it way over your head.
either way, good luck!!
them old achilles can go forever if you treat 'em right!!! i sure do love 'em!!!

All I need are some tasty waves, a cool buzz, and I'm fine.
- Spicoli
bigben is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2016   #5
Denver, Colorado
Do you have thwarts for it? I have two grey lace in that seem like they're in great shape, rarely used. They came with my 14' and I was going to use them as patch material, but if you want them, they can be had relatively cheaply.
I'll be through Eagle March 23 or so.
jonseim is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016   #6
Grand Junction, Colorado via Oregon
Paddling Since: 1976
You can send it to Sotar to have one retrofitted into it, but you gotta ask yourself if the price is worth it as the floor will be expensive but bomber. Last time I priced it out, was running about $100-125 per foot of raft. Guess if the main tubes give out you can then have them build tubes to fit your floor if you go that route? A few of my friends had Sotar SB floors retro'ed into their 18' Rogue Inflatables and they absolutely loved it.
Grand Junction CO
Riverman4utoday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2016   #7
Calgary, Alberta
I've thought about using the approach similar to the design of the nrs outlaw boats... get a drop stitch insert and cut some holes in the bucket boat floor... instant SB.

I know that JPW will make custom sized drop stich floors but don't know what they cost.

Sent from my SM-G903W using Mountain Buzz mobile app

cupido76 is offline   Reply With Quote