Old 07-20-2013   #1
Chicago, Illinois
How much pressure can a raft take?

Kind of a weird question, but kind of curious. How much pressure in psi can a typical raft take before rupturing?

aeturnus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013   #2
The Old Troll
Gypsum, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
PVC or Hypalon? Glued or welded seams? New or Old?

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013   #3
boof splash
Boulder, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2006
It depends on the temperature, among other things.
kuuskv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013   #4
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
The recommended air pressure vairies with make, model and manufactor, but most are surprisingly low. For example my AIRE Couger tops off at 2.5 pounds per square inch, some floors have a PRV valve rated at 1.5 psi.

I purchased a special low pressure air gauge along with my first boat. This was very helpful in the begining. After a while I could judge the pressure pretty accurately by pressing a knuckle into the inflated boat.

Keep in mind that air pressure is a functin of temperature, the air pressure in the boat changes a lot when it's moved from the hot beach to the cold water or visa-versa. Be careful of boats parked on hot sand I have seen them rupture when warmed up in the sun!
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2013   #5
flagstaff, Arizona
Paddling Since: 09
I never knew a low pressure gauge existed till my last trip. I have a 19 foot JPW cat that is from the late 20th century. It's old. Only has two patches but they are each four feet long. I asked the guy with the gauge the same question.... how much is too much? I HAD been running 3/4 to 1 1/4 PSI utilizing the time honored thump test.. He assured me that 2 1/2 pounds was the upper limit. Thus, I inflated to 1 1/2 PSI. One of the fun things about a gauge is you can see the effects of parking in the sun. The sunniest most beached chamber of the boat would go to almost 3, the shadiest might sink to under 1. Having all been equal at sun up inflation of 1 1/2. Be careful.
Happy Landings
sleighr is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #6
New Castle, Colorado
OK, not suggesting you do this, but I have a 15.5' PVC glued seam Star. Star recommends a max of 3.0 PSI. I have owned the boat for 9 years now and guided fishing from it for about 6 of those. I use this boat a LOT. I always inflate it to 4.8 psi in the shade because it almost always drops .5-1 PSI when it hits the water. At 3 PSI it is a bitch to row but at 4+PSI it gets a lot easier. I have had it on the trailer in the sun and have confirmed it getting as high as 6.5 PSI in the sun. I have never had a problem with blowing a seam or any valves etc. I know with smaller boats made of hypalon and thinner PVC you have to be much more careful. I have a pressure gauge and I always use it when inflating. I also use an air compressor to inflate. I know I'm breaking a lot of rules here but I hate a mushy raft. I'd be interested to hear where others keep their boats inflated to. No, I'm not a patsy for the raft repair industry either.
Carroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #7
Wondervu, CO, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2001
Word of caution. You can blow seams at pressures well below the recommended limits if the glue gets hot enough.

Once I foolishly blew up my boat on a section of fresh asphalt. Not noticing the surface temperature of the jet black pavement was way too hot for my floor. Blew every seam in the floor before I could even feel resistance in the pump.
kengore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #8
This question reminds me of this question...

BoscoBoater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #9
Winter Park, Colorado
Low Pressure Gauge

I read the notes on low pressure gauges. Living in the mountains, we are always adjusting the pressure going up and down. Does anyone have information on where to purchase one for our Down River raft?
blairbrady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2013   #10
The Old Troll
Gypsum, Colorado
I once saw them at Down River. They probably still carry them.

David Miller is offline   Reply With Quote