Old 03-29-2013   #21
East MT, WestMT, Both sides of the Yellowstone
Paddling Since: 09
1100$ older hypalon boat with frame in bozeman cl no oars.

spider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #22
Sandy, Utah
Paddling Since: 1997
Originally Posted by carvedog View Post
Well the first question I thought of was are planning on running solo? How big are you? And do you expect to load and unload this thing by yourself?

If solo (I have no idea why you would do that = having someone run you just right through a good fishing area or giving someone the good float is about the most awesome thing you can do in a raft) and committed to solo I would look more towards the Puma, Super Puma, Mini me Hyside or that size raft unless you are an ex-lineman or something.

I can roll and load my 17 foot Maravia solo but I have a very special skillset.

If you are wanting to keep it rigged and inflated you will likely want a trailer with a winch and at least a roller on the back. Or something like that. Again depends on your size.

If you are planning on floating with friends then a regular carpeted flat bed and/or a willingness to roll your stuff up opens up a lot of options. A 13 foot Rocky Mtn Raft would be a great option but with frame and oars you will be at your budget. If you have a truck then you can carry it in the bed and go.

This is the most important. Get something and go.

If you are thinking to have the trailer too for that price I haven't even seen anything much with a trailer that would work for you on the used side. But people are cleaning out garages and sheds this time of year and something may pop.
Great advice here. I got my 12 ft. Raft specifically because I will often float/fish by myself, and wanted a boat I could load easier on my trailer. I can load my bigger cataraft if I have to, but the little boat will be much easier . It weighs 80 lb. with thwarts removed, and the frame weighs 40-50 lb. Keep looking and I'll bet you'll have your rig by summer.
Yo ranchman44...... I may give you a shout for July myself!

cataraftgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #23
portland, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1991
Originally Posted by LSB View Post
That cat that Avatard posted looks like the deal of the day
Shit! if i was selling it, I'd buy it!!!
Hey, if you want me to take a dump in a box and mark it "guaranteed", I will. I got spare time.
Avatard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013   #24
Albany, Oregon
Paddling Since: 2002
don't go crazy.

It's real easy to get carried away with what kind of gear you need. The river shouldn't be a fashion runway. Just get something you can handle that won't break the bank. The important thing is that you're out on the river and having fun. A used setup is probably the way to go so you don't have to kill yourself trying to put everything together.

Rogue Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote