Old 09-30-2005   #11
Hey Ryan, I don't think they have 13 foot rafts at Wal Mart!!! You can look at NRS too, they make really good rafts in different price ranges. What the heck, you would just flip that thing all over the river. Better start out with an 11 footer so you won't get hung up on as many rocks down below Salida. Don't forget your 6 packs and make sure you have bread for all your sandwiches.

Like it or not, all of us are the result of a sexual act.
Geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #12
on your sister, ...
i read your post and then read it again but am a little unclear on your expectations of 13ft-14ft raft... are you expecting to haul 5-6 people on overnighters?

anyway, in the course of the several years of owning rafts I have migrated from cluelessly buying a 11ft raft first...way to small. a joke really. got rid of it ASAP. Bought a 13fter next...nice size for rowing 1-2 passengers on light extended rafting trips or 3-4 for day trips. 14ft more room but about the same as a 13ft then moved to 16ft for extended trips w/ cooler, 2-3 passengers. I can't imagine anything less than 16ft when you have several passengers anymore. it gives the rower plenty of room to work the oars w/ out worrying about taking out passengers if the oars catch too. passengers can have elbow room too and room for one to fish up at the bow too(w/o the other passenger having an ass right in their face). 16ft is a big boat but it's surprising just what you can run in them at low water just as well as a 13fter. the bigger tubes keep you higher in the water, ya know?

also, keep in mind, the overnighters are addictive and quickly lead to week long trips and not enough room for everyone that would like to go. i bought my first raft for fly fishing from, only in super mellow water, on the cheap and day trips... then i found how fun it ALL is...

btw, my hyside is 14 years old and i added air once on my last 7 day river trip. it's still in great shape. if you take care of them they last a very long time. 303'em.

i had a aire for a spell too. did not like the PVC and really didn't think the floor held up well to abuse from rocks. just my opinion.

anyway, good luck.

tuberslickmysweatyballs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2005   #13
Denver, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
thanks for the good input...

to clear it up, I am really looking for something that I can put 5-6 peeps in for a day trip down brown's or numbers and something I can oar command with room for 3-4 kayakers gear.

so when the spring comes around I'll probably try and do the 13-14' NRS. Nice to know that even something 10 years old can still be a gem. Just gotta get it thoroughly checked first.

thanks again!

leery is offline   Reply With Quote