Mountain Buzz banner

How common are Avon Scout Self Bailers?

8K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  mattman 
#1 ·
So last year I bought a Avon Pro GC rig...

...and am really loving it.

Great build quality and just have an affinity for the brand. I went to Summer Camp as a kid and all they had was Avon's (all bucket boats....sort of before Self-Bailers were a thing). I love the Pro, but its just a bit too big for some rivers. I went on a trip a couple weeks ago that had some smaller rafts, and I just though it would be cool to get something smaller for the smaller rivers.

With that in mind, my affinity for Avon really makes me want to get a Scout...I'm just not sure how common they are, especially in self-bailer form. I don't want a Mil/Pro version...I want a true Avon raft. I'd maybe consider an Adventurer for the right price, but what I'm really looking for is the Scout. Awesome build quality and basically what the entire industry of whitewater rafting was built upon on sounds sweet.

Anyone have info or a lead? Not much going on online with them for sale or even much info about them.

See less See more
#2 ·
I wouldn't use the word rare, but I might in a year or two. I've seen Scouts sell on the 'buzz for many hundreds to many thousands. Using a "search all of Craigslist" regularly is probably a good way to track one down.

That said, I don't think they're worth what people tend to ask for them. A brand new Hyside is only a few hundred more typically and will surely outlive a 20+ year old boat.

For what it's worth, I don't like the MilPro boats. I saw some fabric problems on one after a dozen uses or so. I'd buy Hyside or NRS before I get one of those.

#4 ·
I agree about the MilPro. I've never seen one in person, but they don't look like the same legendary quality of the true Avon boats.

At this time, Its not in my budget to buy a new boat and build it all from scratch with maybe the exception of a Rocky Mountain 12 or 13 footer.

I use Searchtempest.com to do nationwide searches for stuff and it doesn't show a single Scout for sale anywhere.

I've seen a few old listings for Scout bucket boats, but not much in the way of self bailers. Honestly, I'd consider a Scout bucket boat and just get a good bilge pump but would still heavily prefer a self bailer.

If I could afford it, an Aire 130D would be sweet, or maybe a Maravia Zephyr series. I like the Diminishing tube style...but they aren't on the used market that much and a new one is spendy.

#3 ·
I haven't seen to many of them up for sale either...keep an eye peeled, hopefully you come across what yer lookin for. Understand wanting an Avon, good news is there are a lot of really sweet small boats out there these days.
Classic though...

#6 ·
Yeah...I'm sure thats a possibility and one I thought about. I was thinking it would be the cats ass to get a drop stitch floor put in one even though that would be weird having a boat partially PVC and partially Hypalon.

Unfortunately, even the Scout bucket boats aren't super common though. There is a post from a few years ago on Boatertalk with a guy who was selling a few, but I haven't seen anything about Avon Scouts on current listings including Craigslist, Ebay or other classifieds.

I guess it might be worth a call to Clavey and see what they have. I imagine whatever they do have might be expensive though. They did make a true 13' Avon raft (The Ranger?) via Clavey that would be the ideal thing, but I think that was only towards the very end before the Avon whitewater line went the way of the Dodo and it didn't sound like many were made.

#9 ·
They are becoming harder to find. The Scout and Explorer were less common in the west from what I can tell. We picked up a 14' Avon last year, I think and Adventurer but I am not certain at the moment, off of the Buzz. I luckily got one of the first phone calls in and secured the deal.

There was one of the most outrageous adds I have ever seen last year regarding a used Avon. Still laugh about the asking price. I have a fondness for them after trying multiple other manufacturers. We also picked up a modified Avon Spirit bucket boat that we call the "Fall Out Shelter" when we need a bug water boat for places like the Grand. Shes an old beast but has years left in her (picked her up here for about $500).

Whoever designed them hit the sweet spot for materials and geometry in my book but that is a highly personal decision.

Best of luck.

Phillip

#12 ·
Hmm. Bet a vanguard floor would be a fairly affordable option for replacement Avon floor.

I'd be very comfortable having Jack build me a custom floor to, though guessing he'd have to charge a bit more? I'm a very satisfied jpw customer as well.

#13 ·
Hmm. Bet a vanguard floor would be a fairly affordable option for replacement Avon floor..
The problem would be getting the PVC floor to stick proper to the Hypalon boat. Very few Hypalon boats were built by Vanguard......but I was fortunate to get a 12'er from AAA when they first hit the market. :cool:

The beauty of the thick floor is it's resistance to taco in holes and stiffness to avoid wrapping on rocks.:wink:

#14 ·
How bout cutting out the old floor with some slop left over, adding grommets, and lacing it in? Would be nice to have a little play in the floor attachment anyway, to make up for the thick vanguard floor. Would have to get vanguard to leave out the bailing holes, should be doable?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.