Old 08-29-2015   #21
NIMBY, Oregon
Paddling Since: Womb
I have used a canvas tent during guide schools for over a decade and they are the bee's knees. Dry gear every morning, dry community area, and sleeping in shorts every night. It also provides cool shade on the hottest days. The ground under the tent stays dry so there really is no need for a floor. If you must have the floor, learn from my mistake...

For personal use, I have a full length floor for a 14'x12'. In hindsight, the floor should be about 1/2-2/3 the length of the tent. Giving you a changing area while helping to keep the floor clean. Don't touch the inside of the tent ceiling! The condensation will collect and form a drip, giving you a puddle in your floor. Honestly, the floor is a PITA if you have random people coming and going. They don't know...

Wall Tents, Canvas Tents, canvas wall tent, canvas wall tent frames,

Got ours on sale with the stove for just under $2k shipped.

heavyswimmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015   #22
Hood River, Oregon
Paddling Since: 1994
Davis Tent & Awning

We use a 12x12 Sheepherder tent from Davis Tent & Awning with a steel stove from Four Dog Stoves that's 50 lbs or so. A lighter titanium stove would be nice but this one was affordable and fine if we have a big gear raft. We use paddles for the side poles and an oar for the center pole. I love this thing.

Attached are a few photos from the Nass River a couple weeks ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Nass Tent 1.jpg
Views:	271
Size:	265.1 KB
ID:	10514   Click image for larger version

Name:	Nass Tent 2.jpg
Views:	245
Size:	426.7 KB
ID:	10515  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Nass Tent 3.jpg
Views:	243
Size:	369.7 KB
ID:	10516  

Zachary Collier
Northwest Rafting Company
zcollier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2015   #23
Denver,, exhaustion
denver tent company has a range tipi with 4 foot sidewalls... they do not advertise that they put a stove jack in it but will do so if asked. It sets up super easy/quick and they are truly good people.

that said i have the spike tent from the wall tent shop it does have a tub style floor. I LOVE this tent the 10'X12' i could set up by myself in 15 minutes. I now have the 12x12 it has a few extra poles but still sets up with one person quickly.

the wall tent shop also makes great stoves...FYI
"We should restore the practice of dueling. It might improve manners around here" -Edward Abbey
adgeiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015   #24
Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
For the river trips tent I have pretty much decided on a Seek Outside 6 or 8 man tipi.

To the guys with the tipis and larger tent set ups: do you have many problems finding a place to pitch a 12-16' tent in most river camps? I never paid any attention to tent site sizes in most camps since I have been using backpacking tents.

Thanks for all the info!

Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2015   #25
Custom Whitewater Equipme
Central Point, Oregon
I have have not had any issues with our 12 man. I boat with groups that understand that the Tepee is a community resource and save the large spots for the "community center". If you boat with people that hit the beach and claim their spots ASAP it could become an issue.
May the water be under your boat and the wind at your back.
Whitewater Worthy Equip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2015   #26
Centennial, Colorado
Paddling Since: 1991
Nice looking fishies shapattack!
pete_stephenson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015   #27
Seattle, Washington
WeatherPort has some amazing structures for camping. I've stayed in one on a campground, but there's always a possibility of buying your own. It was a nice stay.
babybirdblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2015   #28
Bellingham, Washington
Paddling Since: 2004
I have had my Seek Outside 8 man tipi for about a month and a half. It was up in my yard through a couple of good storms with no problems, and I just did a three day Grande Ronde trip. I paired it up with a Lite Outdoors titanium cylinder stove because I could get one with a 18" body with 10.5" face and back plates. You can also order a baffle for the stove as an option.

In the back yard there were all the condensation issues you would expect from a single wall tipi on wet ground. The stove took care of the condensation in short order in most of the tent, but it had a hard time drying out the lower parts of the wall that were near the ground. In 20 mph winds it hardly moved. I could fit a regular size cot, a Cabelas xl outfitter cot (85" l x 40" w x 20.5" h), the stove, a camp chair, and a german shepherd inside it and have plenty of room for wood and gear.

On the river it was great! The stove kept it warm enough for t shirt and shorts in freezing conditions. With two regular sized cots we had room for all four of us and the dog to hang out, and we added a second chair. On the second night we had 60 mph winds. We lost a couple of stakes we could not drive very deep into the ground, but it was never close to coming down. Once we figured out how to secure the poorly placed stakes it was bomber. Having the room to dry gear and stay warm was amazing!

The stove was a bit problematic. Lite Outdoors ran out of bags for the face and back plates so they had to send it later. After it's first burn I found a small crack in the body. The material around it felt weak and brittle compared to the rest of the titanium foil. I contacted Lite Outdoors and the owner, Brennen, said that it was a material defect and he would send me a new stove body. Just before my trip the bag arrives, but still no stove body. I contact Brennen and he says he forgot to send it, but he will asap. Brennen told me that if I needed to use the stove before the new body came to trim away the damaged section (it was in a spot were the material overlaped so the stove was still sealed) and use it. I did that. After the second night on the Grande Ronde I find a second crack in the stove body near the first one, and a couple of cracks in the baffle. I use the wifi at Boggan's Oasis to email Brennen. A week later and still no reaponse. I sent him another follow up email yesterday and nothing still. Lite Outdoors is clearly a one man show, so I am hoping that Brennen is just on a hunting trip or something, but if this goes on much longer I'll file a claim with my credit card company. Up until now he has been very prompt in responsing to my email so I have some hope I am not getting blown off.

The stove is easy to control, but a little hard to set up. The body, baffle, and stove pipe roll up and can be fit in a 3" pvc tube. The big door is great for loading and managing the stove.

Wiggins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015   #29
Commerce/the Junc, Colorado
Titanium Goat! Spent a night in one once. Very popular with the dog mushers and canoe campers in northern MN!
SigNewt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2015   #30
Fraser, Colorado
Paddling Since: 2000
Just got a seek outside 8 man tipi last month, been very happy with it so far.
I have the large size stove that seek outside makes. We used it last weekend on westy with low's in the 20's and were down right toasty as long as we had a good fire going!!

My friends thought it was the best thing ever, really awesome to have a warm place to hang out, and gotta love sleeping next to the stove and lighting a fire before you climb out of bed!
The inside of the tent will get cold once the fire goes out, just cause it's a tent, but the thing warms up fast. Having a warm paco and sleeping bag when you go to bed helps a lot. I have not used the liner yet.

No complaints about there stove either, used it twice now. I am having angie replace one tent door with a tooth zipper, to see if it will hold up to the sand better, i got it REALLY sandy in cataract the first time i set it up, and i messed up one zipper, luckily it has a double zipper so i just closed it from the top.
Sand has always been an issue for my tent zippers, so hoping it fixes the problem!

I have gotten really good costumer service from seek outside, and i like supporting a small family owned business.

Thanks for starting the thread, I'm really digging the whole hot tent thing!

" I wish I were a headlight, on a North bound train..."
mattman is offline   Reply With Quote